Can you believe that it takes only 20 minutes to cook this One-Pan Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry? It helps you save time while keeping your body energized and satisfying your cravings! This will definitely be one of the best main dishes you will ever make.
Prepare your meals in minutes by checking out this dish from my Stir Fry recipes! You can even pair them with homemade drinks and juices for a full meal!
How to Make Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Pair the juiciness and flavor of the chicken with the aroma and nutrients of vegetables and herbs – it’s the perfect meal!
Savor the intensified flavors of perfectly seasoned chicken while reaping its health benefits. It contains protein, phosphorus, and vitamins that are perfect for weight loss.
Season and cook it however you prefer to release the juices and splendid texture. I also recommend using chicken for Crispy Chicken Wings, Chicken Gizzard Stew, and Chicken Pizza to bring out its amazing quality!
Broccoli has a touch of sweet and bitter palette that becomes sweeter as it cooks. It becomes crispy yet tender with vibrant green color.
Bell peppers and sweet peppers
These peppers will contribute a saccharine and rich flavor. These will also give the food a crunchy texture and an amazing aroma.
Onion and Garlic
Don’t miss out on these classic herbs to intensify the quality of the dish. Onions and garlic can add a pungent peppery, and sweet character to the dish.
Spring onions are perfect for a touch of freshness and sweetness in stir fry dishes. They also emit a fragrant and appetizing aroma when cooked properly. They also have a subtle pungent taste to complement the seasoning.
These crunchy, sweet, and earthy root vegetables are helpful for boosting immunity, protecting dental health, and nourishing the skin.
Use scotch bonnet to enrich the dish with a spicy taste. It can also offset the natural flavors of the vegetables for a balanced flavor throughout the meal.
The best seasoning for chicken and vegetables includes mixed herbs, sea salt, all-purpose seasoning, cumin, and more! These condiments are the secret to great tasting stir fry.
Sunflower oil has a high smoke point which makes it perfect for stir fry. It even has a distinct flavor that contributes to the overall dish.
Don’t these ingredients sound perfect for Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry? With the fusion of nutrients and vitamins, you can guarantee that it’s healthy, delicious, and satisfying!
- Debone and cut the chicken into stir-fry-sized pieces using a knife.
- Season them with salt, curry powder, mixed herbs, onion powder, all-purpose seasoning, and ginger powder in a bowl.
- Marinate the chicken for at least an hour or overnight.
- Rinse the spring onions, carrots, bell peppers, sweet peppers, and scotch bonnet.
- Slice the washed vegetables and the ginger, onions, and garlic.
- Clean the broccoli by submerging the florets in hot water for a minute before draining the water with a colander.
- Season the broccoli with salt and let it cook in hot water for 5 minutes before draining.
- In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic for a minute over medium fire.
- Add in the scotch bonnet and saute for another minute.
- Cook the marinated chicken and stir fry for 7 minutes or until cooked.
- Incorporate the chopped carrots and mixed peppers.
- Season it with mixed herbs, oregano, cumin, and all-purpose seasoning, and stir-fry briefly.
- Then add the broccoli and stir fry for a minute.
- Put in the spring onions. Simmer for a minute.
- Do a taste test and once satisfied with the flavor, take it out from the heat and serve your very own Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry!
Trust me, this is tastier than you expect it to be! Even the appetizing aroma will be enough to kickstart your day. Sometimes, a good Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is all that you need!
How to Buy and Store Fresh Chicken
Selection. Purchase chicken with plump and pink flesh. The skin should also have a touch of light yellow. It should not have any discoloration or holes. There should be no foul odor. Choose the best ones for a delicious Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry!
Storage. Packaged chicken can be stored in the fridge to use within 2 days. You can also freeze the chicken by putting them in freezer bags to use within several weeks.
Preparation. Do not wash the chicken before cooking. Simply pat it dry and season with the spices before cooking.
How to Purchase and Preserve Vegetables
Selection. The Spruce Eats suggests choosing ones with closed broccoli with dark green florets. The stalks should also be thin and stored because you can still use them for other dishes. Yellowing on the broccoli heads is an indication of old age.
Storage. You can preserve broccoli by wrapping it in a plastic bag and placing it in the fridge to last up to 5 days. Meanwhile, cooked broccoli can be stored in airtight containers to use within 3 days.
You may also freeze the broccoli in freezer bags to last up to several months. Store them well for the best Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry ever!
You can also check out this guide on how I clean broccoli:
Bell peppers and Sweet Peppers
Selection. Purchase regularly-shaped peppers with smooth and vibrantly colored skin. They should have no holes, discoloration, or soft spots.
Storage. Pepper can be stored at room temperature. However, it is best to refrigerate them to use within 2 weeks.
Selection. According to Glen & Friends Cooking, carrots should have brightly colored skin without discoloration. They should feel firm to the touch.
Storage. Cut the leaves of the carrots and store them to use for other dishes. For the actual carrots, place them in perforated bags to refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Selection. In an article by Epicurious, spring onions should have a small bulb at the end and the bulbs may be white or purple in color. The greens should be stiff and upright without indications of wilting.
Storage. Room-temperature spring onions should be used within 2 days. They can also be preserved in resealable bags in the fridge to use within a week.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry Variations
Stir fry dishes, such as this Chicken and Broccoli version, are highly customizable. You can use different sources of protein such as pork and beef. For vegans, tofu is a suggested alternative to meat and seafood.
It is also recommended to add more vegetables, such as snap peas, mushrooms, baby corn, green beans, and other flavorful produce. Aside from the spices, you can also use other condiments such as vegetable stock, sesame oil, and honey.
You might even enjoy Egg Stir-Fried Indomie Noodles – a tantalizing Asian delicacy.
- Saucepan: Stir fry the chicken and broccoli ingredients in a pan.
- Knife: Peel and slice the ingredients with a knife.
- Glass bowls: Prepare the ingredients in glass bowls.
- Chopping board: Chop the vegetables on a chopping board.
- Colander: Drain the broccoli with a colander.
- Slotted turner: Stir the dish as it cooks using this tool.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry can be served on its own but you can also have it with rice, noodles, roasted vegetables, soups, and salads. It can be consumed at any time of the day and it is also a great option for meal prep dishes.
This is one of the best dishes for vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free diets, especially if you’re on a calorie deficit.
- At room temperature: In an article by I Forgot It’s Wednesday, stir fry is best consumed within two hours and within one hour if the temperature is quite high.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry healthy?
Yes, it is! Aside from using fresh and natural ingredients, the recipe also uses oil with a high smoke point to preserve the nutrients of the chicken and the vegetables.
It’s good for your heart, energy, immunity, bones, stamina, eyes, skin, cholesterol, blood sugar, brain, and overall wellness!
Why is the Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry overcooked?
Overcooking may be a common problem for stir fry because of the high heat from the stove. To avoid it, prepare the ingredients beforehand so you can quickly put them in the pan.
Also, use a slotted turner to toss the ingredients in the pan as they cook. However, note that you shouldn’t add the ingredients all at once. Start with the ingredients that may take the longest to cook.
Moreover, use oils with high smoke points such as sunflower oil, canola oil, and avocado oil.
Why are the ingredients cooked unevenly?
This situation is commonly due to an overcrowded pan. Do not add all of the ingredients at once and begin with the food that requires more time to cook. Spread the ingredients on the pan to distribute them.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1.1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 broccoli (large)
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, green, orange)
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 scotch bonnet (optional)
- sunflower oil
Seasoning for Chicken
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp onion granules/powder
- ½ tsp all-purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp sea salt
Seasoning for Stir Fry
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- Marinate the chicken.Debone and cut the chicken into stir-fry-sized pieces. Put the slices in a bowl and season them with salt, curry powder, mixed herbs, onion powder, all-purpose seasoning, and ginger powder. Toss the chicken in the seasoning and set it aside to marinate for at least an hour or overnight. The longer it marinates, the more infused the flavors will be.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients. Rinse the spring onions, carrots, bell peppers, sweet peppers, and scotch bonnet. Slice the washed produce and the ginger, onions, and garlic. For the broccoli, clean it by cutting off the heads and placing them in a glass bowl. Submerge them in hot water for a minute before draining the water. Season the broccoli with salt and pour hot water. Let the broccoli cook in the hot water. Cover the bowl with a lid and let it cook in the water for 5 minutes before draining the water and setting it aside.
- Time to stir fry. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium fire Sautee the onion and garlic for a minute. Add in the scotch bonnet and sautee for another minute. Cook the marinated chicken and stir fry for 7 minutes or until cooked. Check if it is seasoned to your liking before incorporating the chopped carrots and mixed peppers. Season it with mixed herbs, oregano, cumin, and all-purpose seasoning, and stir fry briefly. Add the broccoli and stir fry for a minute. Put in the spring onions. Simmer for a minute. Do a taste test and once satisfied with the flavor, take it out from the heat and serve!
- Use woks and pans with a wide surface area to evenly cook the ingredients.
- Don’t add the protein and vegetables all at once.