Give everyone the best Asian culinary experience by cooking delicious, filling, and heart Chicken Curry!
The Chicken Curry is a classic Indian recipe that cooks juicy and tender chicken in a savory, warm, and spicy sauce. Nowadays, it is widely used all over the world.
I remember serving it as a main dish for my family, and everyone loved it. You will surely love it for a lunch or dinner meal for the best time with your loved ones.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Today, you will learn the secrets to cooking the best Chicken Curry. Everything you need to know is right here, so what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
How to Make Chicken Curry
Cooking Chicken Curry is so easy and effortless that it takes about 30 minutes to make. All you have to do is cook the chicken in the curry sauce until soft and delectable.
With the right herbs and spices, you’ll certainly cook the perfect Chicken Curry anytime!
These are all that you need to cook Chicken Curry:
For the chicken curry, it is best to use boneless and skinned parts of the chicken. Using drumsticks makes the dish affordable and quick to cook.
To make the chicken curry creamy, add coconut milk. It’s a good plant-based milk that you can use for your recipes. Coconut milk also adds a sweet and nutty flavor to the dish.
You can buy this in the grocery or make your own at home! I occasionally use this for Nigerian Eggs Rolls, and it always gives the best results.
Onion and garlic
You can never forget your aromatics in Asian recipes. With just onions and garlic, you can make the dish taste so much better. They also add fragrance to improve overall quality.
Onions and garlic also remove any unpleasant odor and flavor from the chicken. These will surely make a difference in the Chicken Curry recipe!
Upgrade your chicken curry sauce with oat flour to make it tastier and thicker. Oat flour has a subtle nutty flavor that can make the dish like it’s from India.
You can also make your own Oat Flour at home using rolled oats. Indeed, adding it to curry sauce is one of my favorite ways of putting oat flour to good use.
You may use your preferred herbs and spices to make it sweeter or spicier. The main seasoning is curry powder. But you may also use mixed herbs, cumin, chicken stock cube, garam masala, and other flavoring agents to add flavor.
Intensify the nutty flavor of the dish with coconut oil. It’s a healthy kind of oil that can make the recipe healthier. The coconut oil will surely complement the flavor of the coconut milk.
Although made with simple ingredients, Chicken Curry may be a family favorite in your home!
Just follow these steps to cook Chicken Curry in no time!
- Season the chicken with curry powder, ginger powder, cumin, garam masala, chicken stock cube, mixed herbs, white pepper, all-purpose seasoning, and sea salt.
- Massage the herbs and spices into the chicken.
- Then, cover the bowl with a lid or cling film.
- Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil in a frying pan for two minutes.
- Stir the chicken for five minutes with a spatula.
- Then, season with curry powder.
- Pour in the coconut milk and let it simmer for about five minutes.
- Add the oat flour or any other thickener of your choice.
- Cook it for two more minutes.
- Serve the dish in glass bowls for everyone to enjoy!
Is it as delicious as you expected? Tender, juicy chicken and thick, creamy sauce served over freshly cooked rice? That’ll surely be a yummy meal you’ll never forget!
- You are free to use other chicken parts of your choice.
- But it is best to use drumsticks or breasts for easy deboning and cooking.
- Always go for pinkish and odorless chicken.
- According to Recipe Tips, chicken can be refrigerated for up to three days.
- Otherwise, transfer them into containers to freeze for several weeks or months.
A good chicken curry always starts with fresh chicken!
How to Make Oat Flour
For a finer texture, filter it with a strainer and pound the large chunks with a spoon. You can use this for baking, cooking, or even making drinks. It is also perfect for making Oatmeal Fufu or even Pancakes!
How to Make Coconut Milk
Check out the details on how to make Coconut Milk at home. Refrigerate this for three days or freeze it for one month. It can instantly improve your chicken curry!
Chicken Curry Variations
If you’re looking for more flavor, then you can add butter or cream. Instead of chicken, you can cook curry with pork, beef, or even seafood!
Do you want to add vegetables to the dish, too? Just add some potatoes, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and more. These will surely add color and quality to the dish.
Instead of chicken, you can also make curry with beef for a beefy and savory flavor. Try it out and discover which one you love more!
- Frying pan: Use a frying pan to cook the Chicken Curry.
- Glass bowl: Season and marinate the chicken in a glass bowl.
- Wooden spatula: Combine the ingredients using a wooden spatula.
- Cling film: Cover the marinated chicken with cling film.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Chicken Curry
Chicken curry is best served for lunch or dinner with other side dishes. Did you know that you can also enjoy it with spaghetti?
- At room temperature: Eat the chicken curry within two hours of serving it to enjoy the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the secret to good chicken curry?
What are the main ingredients in chicken curry?
To make Chicken Curry, you need chicken drumsticks or other chicken parts. I also suggest using coconut milk, oat flour, coconut milk, coconut oil, herbs, and spices.
What makes chicken curry taste better?
You can make your Chicken Curry taste better with coconut milk, herbs, and spices. Adding herbs and spices can also do an excellent job of adding flavor.
What is the main ingredient in curry?
The main ingredients in the curry recipes are coconut milk and curry powder. Garlic, ginger, onion, chicken liquid stock, oat flour or plain flour, coconut oil, and chicken are common ingredients in curry dishes.
Chicken Curry (With Video)
- 12 chicken drumsticks (deboned and diced)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 pinch coriander powder
- 2 cubes chicken stock
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 pinch garam masala
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 small-sized onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1½ cup coconut milk (homemade)
- 1 tbsp oat flour (homemade)
- Marinate the chicken. Season the chicken chunks with curry powder, ginger powder, cumin, garam masala, chicken stock cube, mixed herbs, white pepper, all-purpose seasoning, and sea salt. Massage the herbs and spices into the chicken and cover the bowl with a lid or cling film. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes for a more robust flavor.
- Cook the chicken curry. Saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil for 2 minutes. Then, stir the chicken for 5 minutes before seasoning it with curry powder. Pour in the coconut milk and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. At this point, you can incorporate the oat flour or any other thickener of your choice. Cook it for two more minutes before removing it from the heat.
- Serve this Chicken Curry over a cup of rice within 2 hours of cooking it.
- Use alternatives for herbs and spices and thickeners.