Chicken Curry is an Asian – Indian dish usually served over cooked rice. Put the chicken to good use by cooking it in a delicious sauce! It is undoubtedly one of the best main dishes for any occasion!
Have you ever wanted to make an authentic and mouthwatering Chicken Curry at home? Well, now you can! According to a survey by the Institute of Traditional Indian Cooking, chicken curry is now one of the most popular dishes in the world.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
In this blog, you will learn the secrets behind this classic dish, and discover the tips and tricks to make it at home. This blog will provide all the information you need to make a delicious, traditional chicken curry, from what type of chicken to use to the perfect blend of spices for maximum flavor.
How to Make Chicken Curry
Give a new culinary twist to your dining table by making this Chicken Curry recipe! Get ready to take a culinary journey worldwide and learn how to make this much-loved dish! Indeed, it is delicious, fragrant, and satisfying to relish!
For the chicken curry, it is best to use boneless and skinned parts of the chicken. Using drumsticks makes the dish cheap and quick to cook. These can also give the dish a juicy and tender quality!
For chicken lovers, I also suggest cooking Crispy Chicken Wings, Chicken Pie, Juicy Chicken Roast, and Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry!
To make the chicken curry creamy, add coconut milk. This can also give a nutty flavor to the curry. You can buy this in the grocery or make your own at home!
I occasionally use this for Nigerian Eggs Rolls!
Onion and garlic
Onion and garlic will help remove the fleshy taste of the chicken. These are also great ingredients for improving the overall quality of the dish.
Make the sauce extra rich by using oat flour as a natural thickener. You can also make your own Oat Flour at home using rolled oats.
Coconut oil can improve the flavor of coconut milk. It is also one of the healthiest oils to use in stir-frying. This improves the nutty taste of the recipe.
You may use your preferred herbs and spices to make it sweeter or spicier. The main seasoning should be curry powder. But you may also use mixed herbs, cumin, chicken stock cube, garam masala, and other flavoring agents.
Although made with simple ingredients, Chicken Curry may be a family favorite in your home!
- Season the chicken with curry powder, ginger powder, cumin, garam masala, chicken stock cube, mixed herbs, white pepper, all-purpose seasoning, and sea salt.
- Massage the herbs and spices into the chicken.
- Then, cover the bowl with a lid or cling film.
- Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil in a frying pan for 2 minutes.
- Then, stir the chicken for 5 minutes with a spatula.
- Season with curry powder.
- Pour in the coconut milk and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the oat flour or any other thickener of your choice.
- Cook it for two more minutes.
- Serve the dish in glass bowls for everyone to enjoy!
Is it as delicious as you expected? Tender, juicy chicken and thick, creamy sauce served over freshly cooked rice? That’ll surely be a yummy meal you’ll never forget!
How to Purchase and Preserve Chicken
Selection. You are free to use other chicken parts of your choice. But it is best to use drumsticks or breasts for easy deboning and cooking. Always go for pinkish and odorless chicken.
Storage. According to Recipe Tips, chicken can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Otherwise, transfer them into containers to freeze for several weeks or months.
A good chicken curry always starts with fresh chicken!
How to Make Oat Flour
It is so easy to make homemade oat flour. Blend rolled oats using a blender or food processor. Once happy with the texture, store it in an airtight container.
For a finer texture, filter it with a strainer and pound the large chunks with a spoon. You can use this for baking, cooking, or even making drinks. It is also perfect for making Oatmeal Fufu or even Pancakes!
How to Make Coconut Milk
To make coconut milk, blend coconut meat, water, and water. If you want to thicken the milk, then use less water. Then, filter it using a nutmilk bag or strainer for a smooth consistency. Check out the details on how to make Coconut Milk at home.
Refrigerate this for three days or freeze it for one month. It can instantly improve your chicken curry!
Chicken Curry Variations
Make your chicken curry spicy by adding chili flakes or paprika. You can also use potatoes, bell peppers, and coriander leaves for added ingredients.
If you’re looking for more flavor, you can add butter or cream. Instead of chicken, you can cook curry with pork, beef, or even seafood!
- Frying pan: Use a frying pan to cook the chicken curry.
- Glass bowl: Season and marinate the chicken in a glass bowl.
- Wooden spatula: Combine the ingredients using a wooden spatula.
- Cling film: Cover the marinated chicken with cling film.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Chicken Curry
Chicken curry can be served over basmati or jasmine or long-grain rice or spaghetti or pasta.
For drinks and juices, here are some of the best recipes I can suggest:
Chicken curry is best served for lunch or dinner with other side dishes. Did you know that you can also enjoy it with spaghetti?
- At room temperature: Consume the chicken curry within 2 hours of serving it to enjoy the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the secret to good chicken curry?
The key to the perfect chicken curry is to cook it in the seasoning until infused with flavor. According to Curryspy, this dish is meant to be stir-fried and not boiled.
What are the main spices in chicken curry?
Of course, you will need curry powder. Pair it with mixed herbs, pepper, coriander, cumin, garam masala, and more. You can certainly use other herbs and spices of your choice.
Are there any substitutes for coconut milk?
If you don’t have coconut milk, use almond or oat milk to make it extra flavorful and rich. Moreover, you can also use evaporated milk for a mildly sweet taste.
What is the main ingredient in curry?
The main ingredients in the curry recipes are coconut milk and curry powder. Garlic, ginger, onion, chicken liquid stock, oat flour or plain flour, coconut oil, and chicken are common ingredients in curry dishes.
Chicken Curry (With Video)
- 12 chicken drumsticks (deboned and diced)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 pinch coriander powder
- 2 cubes chicken stock
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 pinch garam masala
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 small-sized onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1½ cup coconut milk (homemade)
- 1 tbsp oat flour (homemade)
- Marinate the chicken. Season the chicken chunks with curry powder, ginger powder, cumin, garam masala, chicken stock cube, mixed herbs, white pepper, all-purpose seasoning, and sea salt. Massage the herbs and spices into the chicken and cover the bowl with a lid or cling film. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes for a more robust flavor.
- Cook the chicken curry. Saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil for 2 minutes. Then, stir the chicken for 5 minutes before seasoning it with curry powder. Pour in the coconut milk and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. At this point, you can incorporate the oat flour or any other thickener of your choice. Cook it for two more minutes before removing it from the heat.
- Serve over fluffy rice.For an authentic Indian restaurant-quality meal, ladle the chicken curry over freshly cooked fluffy basmati rice or long-grain rice and serve it with either naan, tortilla, or homemade bread.
- Serve this Chicken Curry over a cup of rice within 2 hours of cooking it.
- Use alternatives for herbs and spices and thickeners.