Everyone loves Crispy Chicken Wings, especially when you make them savory, crunchy, and oh-so-delicious!
Of all the chicken recipes I cooked for my family, the Crispy Chicken Wings is an all-time favorite. What’s special about it is that you can cook it in the air fryer for an oil-free dish.
Once you cook the chicken, you can be sure that it’s flaky and crunchy on the outside yet juicy and tasty on the inside. Every bite is surely going to make you feel happy and satisfied.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Whenever I want everyone to have a fun time, I always cook Crispy Chicken Wings because it truly brings the whole family together. You won’t even break a sweat as you air fry it because it’s just to easy and quick to cook!
How to Make Crispy Chicken Wings
To make Crispy Chicken Wings without using much oil, the perfect solution is to air fry the chicken. As long as you coat the chicken with the right ingredients, you can be sure that it will have the most awesome flavors yet.
Let me guide you to making Crispy Chicken Wings like never before!
Here are all you need to make Crispy Chicken Wings:
When it comes to frying chicken, wings are some of the best parts to use.
Chicken wings have lots of meaty parts that will have a juicy and tender quality when cooked. Compared to other chicken parts, wings come in bite-sized pieces for easy serving and eating.
You will also appreciate how quickly they cook, even in the air fryer. The skin-to-meat ration of chicken wings is also great for giving them a crispy and crunchy quality once air-fried.
With the many herbs and spices you can use to season chicken wings, every time you make it can result in a different flavor. These are also less expensive than other chicken parts, and great for feeding a huge crowd.
What’s my secret to getting crispy and crunchy chicken wings? Corn flour!
The cornflour gives the chicken wings the perfect flaky texture outside while it’s still juicy and soft on the inside. It’s a good alternative or pairing for plain flour, especially if you want to make the chicken extra crunchy.
It’s not enough to make the chicken crispy, it should also be flavorful.
You will need the right level of spicy, savory, salty, and sweet flavors for the best balance of flavor. I suggest using onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, aromat seasoning, smoked paprika, curry powder, black pepper, and sea salt.
Whenever I deep fry, I make sure to use oil with a high smoke point, like sunflower oil. The oil will help you get the right texture for the chicken wings.
With these simple ingredients, you can easily make incredibly delicious Crispy Chicken Wings. Once you make it, you will realize why these are my go-to ingredients.
These are the steps you need to follow to make Crispy Chicken Wings.
Prepare the chicken wings
- Slice the chicken wings into two pieces using a knife.
- Rinse the wings.
- Then, arrange them on a lined tray.
- Pat them dry.
Marinate the chicken wings
- In a bowl, mix the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, curry powder, aromat seasoning, black pepper, sea salt, and corn flour.
- Coat the chicken wings with sunflower oil.
- Then, season the wings with the marinade mix.
- Cover the container with cling film.
- Leave to marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
Time to air fry!
- Preheat the air fryer to 180°C for ten minutes.
- Arrange the marinated chicken wings in the air fryer basket.
- Then, cook the chicken wings for ten minutes on each side.
- Finally, transfer the wings to a lined plate and serve!
I bet this is the easiest Crispy Chicken Wings recipe you will ever try. It also has the perfect texture, savory flavor, and enjoyable experience! This will surely be a favorite for all of your loved ones.
- Buy fresh-looking raw chicken wings with a neutral smell.
- Wholey also suggests buying chicken with pinkish flesh.
- Check if the chicken feels plump to the touch.
- You can keep the chicken in the fridge for two days.
- Store the chicken in the freezer to last several weeks.
Crispy Chicken Wings Variations
How else can you make Crispy Chicken Wings?
Aside from chicken wings, you can also fry the side leg or breast of the chicken. Furthermore, these are good juicy, meaty parts of poultry that you can easily cook in an air fryer.
You can dredge the chicken in buttermilk and eggs to make it crispier. These ingredients enhance the skin’s texture. For the seasoning, you can also include thyme, oregano, mustard powder, powdered ginger, basil, and more.
Alternative Ways to Cook Crispy Chicken Wings
- Preheat the frying pan over high heat.
- Then, sear the wings for up to two minutes on each side.
- Reduce the heat to low fire.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Fry the chicken wings in a preheated deep fryer for eight to ten minutes at 190°C.
- Once cooked, place it on a lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Preheat the oven to 205°C.
- Line the baking tray with greased foil.
- Then, arrange the seasoned wings on the tray.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Grease the grill and preheat at 180°C.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the grill.
- Cook for about 25 minutes.
- After 18 minutes, flip them onto the other side for even doneness.
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Bites – snack on chicken as you mold them into round treats.
- Popcorn Chicken – pop a smile when you bite into delicious popcorn chicken.
- Curry Chicken Pasta – enjoy chicken curry and pasta in one dish.
- Crispy Fried Chicken – instead of air frying, you can deep fry the chicken instead.
- Chicken Curry – cook an authentic Indian dish with chicken and curry.
- Roast Chicken Seasoning Blend – use all the right herbs and spices to roast chicken.
- Chicken Pizza – top your pizza with chicken for the best flavors.
- Chicken Fried Bulgur – transform bulgur and chicken into an all-in-one dish.
- Chicken Gizzard Stew – cook chicken gizzards in a savory sauce to make stew.
- Fried Chicken Gizzards – try frying gizzards for a new chicken dish to try.
- Spaghetti in Chicken Breast Sauce – pasta and chicken breast sauce is a match made in heaven.
- Chicken Pie – get flaky pastry outside and a tender and juicy filling inside.
- Roast Chicken – roast your chicken until its smoky and savory.
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry – pair chicken with broccoli and other vegetables for a good stir fry.
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken – try out this other version of air frying chicken.
- Knife: Use this to slice the chicken.
- Air fryer: Air-fry the chicken in an air fryer for a healthy dish.
- Glass bowls: Marinate the chicken in a bowl.
- Cling film: Cover the marinated chicken to seal the flavors.
- Tray: Prepare the chicken on a tray.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Crispy Chicken Wings
You will never run out of ideas to serve Crispy Chicken Wings!
One of the best ways to enjoy them is to coat them in different sauces that you like. It can be buffalo sauce, barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, soy-garlic sauce, lemon sauce, ranch sauce, and so much more.
There are also so many dips that you can pair with the chicken. You can make your own dip or try ones from the grocery stores. The combinations for your Crispy Chicken Wings are truly endless.
These are best served to family and friends on occasion. But you can also enjoy them as comfort food whenever you want to relax and just enjoy good food. For side dishes, I suggest the following:
- Jollof Rice – it’s always a good idea to serve your chicken with rice.
- Mashed Potatoes – enjoy something creamy and smooth with the crispy wings.
- Spaghetti Bolognese – make it a real celebration with pasta as a side dish.
- Plantain Fries – no need for fastfood, just make fries from plantains.
- Coleslaw – serve something healthy with your chicken wings.
- Guacamole – do you like chicken wings with guacamole?
- At room temperature: Eat the Crispy Chicken Wings within two hours to enjoy the crunchy texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cornstarch or baking powder better for crispy wings?
You can use either baking powder or constarch to make chicken wings crispy and crunchy. Both of these can add a good layer of texture to the dish while making the chicken brown and golden.
Is it baking soda or powder that makes wings crispy?
Baking powder is the leavening agent used to make wings crispy. When you add it to the chicken and cook it, the baking powder is activated for a crispy and golden brown quality.
Can you fry wings without flour?
Yes, you can fry wings even without flour. It’s alright to just season the chicken with herbs and spices or marinate it with a dry rub or wet dredge. Cornstarch is also a good alternative to flour.
Should chicken wings be baked or fried?
It depends on your preference. Baking and frying are both good ways of cooking chicken. For the healthy choicee, I suggest baking chicken because it doesn’t need much oil. On the other hand, frying the chicken can give it the better crunchy quality.
Crispy Fried Chicken Wings With An Air Fryer
- Prepare the chicken wings. Slice the chicken wings into two pieces, rinse a few times thoroughly, arrange them on a tray lined with tissue paper, and pat them dry. Set it aside.
- Preparing the seasonings. In a bowl, combine smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, curry powder, aromat seasoning, black pepper, sea salt, and cornflour.
- Season the chicken wings. Drizzle the wings with sunflower oil and massage until well-coated. Season the wings with the marinade mix. Ensure that the chicken wings are evenly coated.
- Leave the chicken wings to marinate. Cover the container with cling film and leave to marinate for 1 to 24 hours. The longer it marinates, the tastier it will be.
- Air fry the chicken wings. Arrange the marinated chicken wings in the air fryer basket/rack. Remember not to overcrowd it for even cooking. Set the air fryer to 180°C and cook for 10 minutes.
- Air fry the wings until Crispy all over. After 10 minutes, turn the wings onto the other side and cook for another 10 minutes. Transfer the wings to a lined plate and serve!
- Store the raw chicken properly for a naturally tasty and juicy quality.
- Season it with your favorite herbs and spices.
- You can also panfry, deep fry, bake or grill the chicken wings.
- Remember not to overcrowd it for even cooking.