Take your dining experience to the next level with Coleslaw as your side dish!
It is inspired by the Dutch word, “koosla”, which means cabbage salad. Coleslaw is made of shredded cabbage and upgraded with a salad dressing for a creamy quality.
Sometimes, it is mixed with peppers, carrots, onions, cheese, and even apples for variety and flavor. I’m sure it’s going to be one of the best no-cook recipes you will make at home.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
How to Make Coleslaw
In this classic and easy Coleslaw recipe, you only need four ingredients and about ten minutes of your time. It’s absolutely effortless yet incredibly satisfying!
What are the key ingredients in a good Coleslaw recipe?
It has vitamin C, fiber, and other nutrients to keep you healthy and strong. According to Healthline, cabbage is also helpful for your stomach, blood pressure, and heart health.
A Coleslaw recipe is not complete without carrots! Their color and flavor certainly bring out the best in this side dish. It tastes mildly sweet with a slight earthy tone to it, too.
Coleslaw will taste so much better with the spicy and pungent quality of the onion. Whether cooked or raw, it certainly adds great quality to food.
Once you add it to the dish, you will love how crisp and crunchy it is. The onion’s aroma will also make the dish so appetizing that everyone won’t be able to resist it.
There are many Coleslaw dressings you can try, and one of the simplest ones I can suggest is mayonnaise. It has the perfect balance of salty and sour flavors to coat everything.
The thick consistency of the mayonnaise also binds the food together for you to get full flavors at every bite. Mayonnaise also gives the dish a creamy texture for a great experience.
Sometimes, a classic Coleslaw is all you need for a fun time with your loved ones. This recipe is perfect for celebrations and even on ordinary days when you need comfort food!
Whip up this quick creamy Coleslaw recipe in minutes for the best dining experience!
- Use a knife to chop the white cabbage in half and remove the core.
- Shred the cabbage with a knife.
- Then, transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Rinse and peel the carrot.
- Use a grater to shred the carrot.
- Dry it with a kitchen towel
- Then, peel and dice the onion using a knife.
- Mix the fresh veggies in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir!
And just like that, you’ve got yourself stellar Coleslaw! It won’t even take you ten minutes to prepare. You can serve it to family and friends or make it for everyone to love!
Buying white cabbage
- An article by Experience Life states that the cabbage should feel heavy and compact.
- Furthermore, ensure that it has no blemishes, soft spots, or wilted leaves.
- Check the inner crispy leaves for rotten areas.
Storing white cabbage
- Do not wash the cabbage until you are ready to use it. Then, place it in a resealable bag and refrigerate for two months.
- Once sliced, wrap the remaining cabbage in cling film. Refrigerate and use it within three days.
- Buy carrots that feel firm with carrot tops.
- Also, ensure that they have no discoloration or cracks.
- Remove the carrot tops and store them without washing them in containers.
- They can last up to five days at room temperature and up to several weeks in the fridge.
- Buy firm onions without soft spots or discoloration.
- The skin should also feel papery yet smooth.
- Place the onions in cool and well-ventilated areas.
- Once peeled, transfer them into resealable bags to refrigerate.
You can make mayonnaise using two eggs, lemon extract, oil, and sea salt.
- First, separate the yolk and the egg white.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the lemon juice.
- Then, add a few drops of oil while mixing.
- Stir until it thickens to your desired texture.
- Season it with sea salt, and you’ve got yourself some mayo!
Add this to Coleslaw for a creamy texture!
Grating carrots without a grater
Aside from using a grater, you can achieve the same results with a food processor or a blender. Otherwise, finely chop it with a knife. As a matter of fact, you can use a V-Blade Slicer to get things done quickly!
Sometimes, a little bit of spice can go a long way. The best spices include honey, apple cider vinegar, parsley, dijon mustard, black pepper, seeds, sugar, sour cream, and more.
Mix your chosen spices with the mayonnaise before making the coleslaw to infuse the flavors in the mayo. It will also result in a unique color in the dressing.
Meanwhile, you can use red, green, or savoy cabbage because of its amazing flavor and texture. You can try adding apples, bell peppers, jalapeno, dill, and more for other ingredients!
- Grater: Grate the carrots with a grater for a fine texture.
- Peeler: Remove the skin of the carrots using a peeler.
- Knife: Peel and slice ingredients with a knife.
- Cutting board: Prepare the veggies on a clean cutting board.
- Bowl: Assemble the coleslaw in a bowl.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Coleslaw
Meanwhile, here are some of the best drinks to pair with the dish:
Moreover, this can be perfect for meal prep or diet meals to keep you energized and nourished!
- At room temperature: According to All Recipes, coleslaw can be left at room temperature for only two hours.
I also suggest chopping the vegetables to store in a resealable bag. Add the mayonnaise at least one hour before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a coleslaw mix made of?
Coleslaw mix is made of cabbage, carrots, and onions, but you can add other fruits or veggies as long as they improve the flavors.
Is coleslaw like a salad?
Yes, the Coleslaw is like a salad because it’s a mixture of chopped ingredients that’s tossed into dressing or sauces. Just like in a salad, coleslaw uses raw vegetables and fruits!
What is coleslaw considered?
When it comes to dining, Coleslaw is traditionally served as a side dish. It tastes well with almost any main dish, from meat, fish, chicken, and even other vegetables.
Is it healthy to eat coleslaw?
Of course! Since it’s made of fresh ingredients, you can trust that it’s going to have positive effects on your diet and lifestyle. They are loaded with essential nutrients that will keep you fit and healthy!
- ½ white cabbage (small-sized, finely shredded)
- 2 carrots (medium-sized, shred for crunchier coleslaw) see note 3
- ½ onion (small-sized, diced)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (use more for creamier coleslaw)
- Prepare the vegetables. Start by cutting the white cabbage in half and removing the core. Shred the cabbage using a knife and transfer the contents to a bowl. For the carrot, peel, grate, and dry it with a kitchen towel to reduce the juice content. Then, peel and dice the onion.
- Make the coleslaw. Combine the fresh ingredients in a bowl and add the mayonnaise. Use your hand or a spoon to coat the ingredients in the dressing.
- Serve.Serve it as a salad on its own or pair it with something else, like a wrap or dinner roll, a favorite rice dish, and more.
- Season the coleslaw with flavoring agents like sugar, honey, salt, and mustard if preferred.
- Refrigerate the chopped vegetables and add the mayonnaise once ready to serve.
- Shredding the carrots rather than grating them to add extra crunch to the creamy coleslaw and prolongs its shelf life!