Stick meat or beef on a stick or beef skewers is a Nigerian meat-based snack garnished with colorful peppers. Get your beef on and try this African Beef Snack Recipe! Surely with the meat, vegetables, and seasoning, each bite will burst with flavor and satisfaction! It is true happiness on a stick!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
How to Make Stick Meat
If you want to taste a Nigerian meaty delicacy, then make this dish at home!
Beef has a savory and meaty flavor that can easily be enhanced with the right herbs and spices. Once cooked, it becomes juicy, tender, and more tasteful! In fact, it can be grilled, roasted, fried, braised, or stir-fried.
Mixed Bell peppers
Aside from their vibrant colors, bell peppers are rich in sweet and grassy flavor. Each bell pepper variant is different, giving the dish more depth and diversity.
Similarly, the sweet pepper contributes a fruity and saccharine taste to the food. Moreover, it is the secret to making a rich and appetizing pepper sauce to improve the beef.
An onion’s pungent and slightly spicy upgrades the beef and pepper sauce. In fact, even its fragrance can take the dish to a whole new level.
If you want to add a bit of spice to the recipe, then I highly recommend using a scotch bonnet. It blends well with the peppers, and its natural color can make the sauce more vibrant.
There are no rules for seasoning; use whatever herbs and spices you prefer. I suggest mixed herbs, garlic powder, turmeric, ginger powder, all-purpose seasoning, sea salt, curry powder, and knorr cubes for this dish.
These spices can surely amplify the flavors of the beef by seeping into the meat for a burst of savor.
To fry or saute the beef and sauce, use sunflower oil for a nutty flavor. It can withstand high temperatures, so you can trust that it can preserve the nutrients of the ingredients.
Surely, you can never go wrong with these dish elements!
Prepare the beef
- Slice the beef into small chunks (or cubes) with a knife, rinse, and place them in a pot.
- Without turning on the heat, add the onions and seasonings.
- After 20 to 25 minutes, check the meat by piercing it with a fork.
- Then, set the onions and beef stock aside.
- For the beef, you can either grill or fry it.
Make the sauce
- Heat cooking oil or the oil from the fried beef in a pot.
- Then, sautee the sweet pepper and scotch bonnet using a spatula.
- Add the beef stock and season with curry powder, mixed herbs, and all-purpose seasoning.
- Next, add the onions from the beef stock.
- Add the grilled or fried beef and mix it into the sauce until fully coated.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes and set it aside.
Assemble the beef and pepper sicks
- Deseed and slice the mixed bell peppers using a knife.
- Then, pierce the beef and bell peppers into toothpicks or skewers.
- Arrange them however you prefer. Place them on a plate and serve!
The fusion of flavors will surely send you to the heavens with every bite. You might even lose count of the sticks you can finish!
How to Purchase and Store Beef
When it comes to buying beef, the meat should be in a red or purple color without discoloration or foul odor. It should smell fresh and feel firm to the touch.
For packaged beef, choose ones without much moisture inside. For this recipe, use the shin or brisket of the beef.
According to the Food and Drug Administration, beef chunks can be refrigerated in airtight containers or resealable bags for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen to extend their shelf life to several weeks.
How to Buy and Preserve Peppers
Selection. Choose sweet bell peppers with vibrant, firm, and shiny skin. The green stems should also be attached to the pepper. They should also feel heavy for their size.
Storage. Room-temperature peppers should be consumed within five days. Then, refrigerate them in resealable bags to extend their shelf life to a week.
How to Make Mixed Herbs
Combine basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, sage, tarragon, and thyme to make your mixed herbs. Store it in an airtight container and use it whenever preferred.
Stick Meat Variations
Moreover, aside from bell peppers, you can use tomatoes, onions, scallions, and pineapples to complement the beef.
What will make this recipe your own is the seasoning you will use. Make it spicy or sweet according to your preferences.
For a vegetarian version, you can utilize mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and other healthy ingredients you prefer. Pierce them into a stick, grill, and serve!
You can also cook Dodo Gizzard on a Stick for a new recipe!
- Knife: Slice the beef and vegetables with a knife.
- Pot: Cook the beef and sauce in a pot.
- Wooden spatula: Toss the ingredients together using a wooden spatula.
- Oven: Use an oven if you plan on oven-grilling the beef.
- Skewers: Pierce the beef and bell peppers in skewers or toothpicks.
- Fork: Check the meat for doneness with a fork.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Stick Meat
This dish can be served any time of the day. It is especially delicious to enjoy with family and friends during the weekend! If you don’t have skewers, then you can serve it in a bowl with drizzled sauce and sauteed mixed bell peppers.
Eat it as it is or with a side of:
Meanwhile, you might want to consider the following drinks to pair with this dish:
In an article by SFGate, the recommended daily protein intake is 4 ounces of meat.
Stick Meat Storage Tips
- At room temperature: consume cooked beef within 2 hours of cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make Nigerian Stick Meat?
Simply season and cook the beef and slice your favorite fruits or veggies to pair with the meat. Additionally, make any flavorful sauce of your choice to release the full flavors of the dish.
Can you eat raw bell peppers?
Yes, they can! In fact, you might be able to relish the original and natural flavors of bell peppers if you consume them raw. However, you can always opt to sautee or grill them before eating.
What meat is best for beef and pepper sticks?
Aside from beef shin, you can also use brisket, tenderloin, sirloin, or chuck steak.
Beef Skewers – Stick Meat (VIDEO)
For boiled shin of beef
For the pepper sauce
- ½ red bell peppers (equally diced)
- ½ green bell peppers (equally diced)
- ½ yellow bell peppers (equally diced)
Prepare the beef.
- Slice the beef into small chunks, rinse, and place them in a pot. Without turning on the heat, add the onions and seasonings. There is no need to add water, so proceed to cook the beef over medium heat until tender.
- After 20 to 25 minutes, check the meat by piercing it with a fork. Set the onions and beef stock aside. For the beef, you can either grill or fry it.
- For grilling, arrange the chunks on a baking tray and cook them in the oven at 200°C for up to 20 minutes. On the other hand, fry the beef in a pot with hot oil and once cooked, transfer the chunks into a lined plate to drain the oil.
Cook the sauce.
- Heat cooking oil or the oil from the fried beef in a pot. Then, sautee the sweet pepper and scotch bonnet. Pour in the beef stock and season with curry powder, mixed herbs, and all-purpose seasoning.
- Next, incorporate the onions from the beef stock. Toss in the grilled or fried beef and mix it into the sauce until fully coated. Let it simmer for 2 minutes and set it aside.
Prepare the bell peppers.
- Rinse, de-stalk, and deseed the bell peppers.
- Dice the mixed bell peppers.
- Pierce the beef and bell peppers into toothpicks or skewers.
- Arrange them however you prefer. Place them on a plate and serve!
- If you don’t have skewers or toothpicks, serve it on a plate with sauteed bell peppers and drizzled sauce.
- Consume up to 4 ounces of meat on a daily basis.