A Diet-Friendly Baked Bulgur Wheat Recipe that you will make again and again! Enjoy guilt-free keto and healthy recipes to keep you satisfied, and your body nourished and energized.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
You can try a healthy alternative – Bulgur Wheat (or wheat groats as otherwise called)! It’s easy to make, perfectly seasoned, and ultimately satisfying with any dish!
How to Cook The Best Bulgur Wheat
Healthline says a cup of cooked bulgur wheat contains only 151 calories! It can be paired with meat, fish, vegetables, spices, and more.
Bulgur wheat is readily available in grocery stores in different forms at affordable prices so let’s start making it!
Aside from its high-fiber content, bulgur wheat is also beneficial for digestion, hormones, blood sugar levels, heart health, and weight loss. It is also rich in antioxidants to cleanse your body!
In terms of texture, it is chewy and soft when cooked. It comes in three variants: fine, medium, and coarse. Each variant is prepared differently, but all of them will give you a nutty and unique flavor.
Chicken liquid stock
To intensify the bulgur flavors, add the chicken liquid stock. You can buy it at supermarkets or make it at home! Instead of frying the bulgur wheat, incorporate this ingredient for the best seasoning.
If you want to enhance the flavors, then season the bulgur wheat with a bit of sea salt. A little goes a long way, so keep it proportionate to the amount of wheat you are cooking.
Of course, cooking this wouldn’t be possible without water. Use it to rinse the bulgur wheat before cooking it. This basic ingredient is also the key to cooking soft and fluffy rice.
Can you believe that the best bulgur wheat only requires these simple ingredients? This dish is easy and effortless, but the finished product is divine, delectable, and heavenly in all aspects!
- Rinse the bulgur wheat in a bowl until the water becomes clear.
- Mix boiled water, chicken liquid stock, and sea salt in a glass dish.
- Add the washed bulgur and fully incorporate it into the wet mixture.
- Cover the dish and place it in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft and fluffy.
- Once content with the texture, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
Enjoy it with your preferred side dish or stew, or sauce!
It’s almost like cooking ordinary rice, but this version is extra flavorful, healthy, versatile, and affordable! Read on to learn more about improving, storing, and serving bulgur wheat!
How to buy and store Bulgur Wheat
Selection. The different variants of bulgur wheat are readily available in supermarkets, and the packages usually come with instructions. Each variant is prepared differently.
Storage. Once opened, store the wheat groats in airtight containers. Place them in areas where they will not be exposed to heat or moisture. This can last up to 2 years.
How to make and preserve chicken liquid stock
It’s advisable to make chicken liquid stock at home because you will have great control over the flavors and seasonings.
Check out this easy video guide on how I prepare chicken liquid stock at home:
To store, pour the warm liquid stock on ice cube molds. Wait until they are frozen solid and transfer them into freezer bags for up to 6 months.
Variations of Bulgur Wheat
Bulgur wheat is perfect for vegans and vegetarians who want to try rice alternatives. It is also recommended if you’re on a calorie deficit or on a regular diet.
Note that this is not gluten-free and it is also not suggested for people with coeliac disease.
For instance, the fine version has the smallest grains, so it cooks faster. It is also commonly cooked over a stovetop. Meanwhile, the medium-coarse option is best for porridge, stews, and soups.
The course bulgur wheat takes the longest to cook, but it is the best variant to use if you want to have a rice alternative.
- Oven: Cook the wheat in the oven.
- Casserole dish: Pour the ingredients into a casserole dish.
- Spatula: Mix the components together with a spatula.
- Glass bowl: Wash the bulgur using a glass bowl.
- Measuring cups: Use these for accurate amounts of ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Bulgur Wheat
Using this recipe, wheat groats are best served with any dish, stew, or sauce of your choice. Some of my recommendations include Chicken Gizzard Stew, Vegetable Stew, or Fish Stew.
To make it extra delicious, you can also try my Chicken Fried Bulgur for an all-in-one meal! It has poultry, vegetables, bulgur, and seasonings!
In a study published in the National Library of Medicine, a cup of wheat is recommended.
- At room temperature: Cooked bulgur wheat is best consumed within 4 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bulgur wheat healthy?
Yes, it is definitely nutritious! wheat groats are one of the best ingredients for low-fat diets. It aids in weight loss because it can make you feel full for a longer period of time.
Moreover, this dish helps with blood sugar levels, metabolism, and heart health!
Is bulgur wheat healthier than rice?
Bulgur wheat is generally healthier than rice due to its high fiber and protein content. It also contains more essential nutrients compared to rice. It also has fewer calories for weight loss.
However, if your diet does not permit the intake of wheat groats, white rice, or other grains is perfectly fine.
Is bulgur a carb?
Yes, it is a carb, but this is nothing to worry about because it is a healthy kind of carb. Bulgur wheat retains the right amount of nutrients and supplies your body with energy.
According to an article in GoodTo, the total carbohydrates per 100 grams of wheat bulgur is 76 grams.
- 470 g bulgur wheat (wheat groats)
- 375 ml water (boiled)
- 250 ml chicken broth (chicken liquid stock)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Prepare the bulgur wheat. Put your desired amount of bulgur wheat in a bowl and add water. Massage the rice with the water and drain. Repeat this process until the water becomes clearer.
- Combine the ingredients. In a casserole dish or oven-friendly container, mix boiled water, chicken liquid stock, and sea salt. Add the washed bulgur and fully incorporate it into the wet mixture.
- Cook the rice in the oven. Cover the casserole and place it in a preheated oven at 200°C. Let it bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft and fluffy. Once content with the texture, remove it from the oven and let it cool. Enjoy it with your preferred side dish or stew or sauce!
- Always rinse the bulgur wheat before cooking it.
- Check the instructions on the package for any changes in the procedure.
- This is perfectly safe for babies as long as fed in moderation.
- This is not recommended for gluten-free diets precisely because it is a wheat product.