Explore the different parts of chicken by cooking this Fried Chicken Gizzard – a new, unconventional, and sensational dish from the wondrous country of Africa! With the perfect herbs and spices, you can transform chicken gizzards into a delicacy of your own!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Instead of cooking classic Fried Chicken Wings, why not try chicken gizzards for a change, right? Let’s get deep frying!
How to Make Fried Chicken Gizzard
This chicken part may be foreign to you but don’t be intimidated because it’s actually easy to prepare. You might even be surprised about how yummy it can be!
These are popular ingredients for Mexican and Southeast Asian cuisines because of their affordable price, unique texture, and versatile quality. Gizzards are portions of a chicken’s digestive tract that are safe to consume.
Chicken gizzards resemble dark chicken meat. What makes it distinct is it’s chewy when consumed. It’s also easy to cook and you can even cook it into Chicken Gizzard Stew.
The fusion of onions, garlic, and ginger creates this spicy, peppery, and aromatic quality. These herbs can also enhance the natural flavor of the chicken gizzard for a sumptuous dish.
Use mixed herbs, sea salt, curry powder, and stock cubes for the best seasoning. These diversify the overall elements of the recipe.
Sunflower oil is perfect for deep frying because of its high smoke point, nutty flavor, and nutrients.
I bet you never expected that chicken gizzards can be cooked with these basic ingredients! Most of these are readily available in supermarkets so let’s put them to good use by cooking these fried chicken gizzards!
- Rinse the chicken gizzard under cold water.
- Use a knife to slice the gizzards in half and run it over water again.
- Trim any yellowish lining you can see on the gizzards.
- Peel and mince the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- In a pot, combine the chicken gizzard with garlic, onion, ginger, mixed herbs, sea salt, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock.
- Mix them together and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Once cooked, take out the gizzard from the liquid stock. Refrigerate the liquid stock for future use.
- In a pan, fry the gizzards in sunflower oil over medium heat for 10 minutes or until done.
- Remove it from heat and serve!
You just cooked yourself a luscious, exotic, and affordable chicken gizzard dish in just 3 steps! Share it with your family and friends to relish the goodness of this remarkable recipe!
How to Select, Store, and Prepare Chicken Gizzards
Selection. There are chicken gizzards readily available in packages in supermarkets. Look for ones that are antibiotic-free, vegetarian, and hormone-free. It should not have discoloration, slimy texture, or foul odor.
Storage. Unopened packaged chicken gizzards can be refrigerated or frozen in the original packaging. You can also transfer them in resealable bags to store in the fridge for 2 days or in freezer bags for several weeks.
Preparation. Rinse the whole and sliced chicken gizzards until free from blood, debris, or other substances. Rub the flesh to thoroughly prepare it for cooking. In case you see any yellowish lining, remove it for safe consumption.
How to Make Mixed Herbs
Combine basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, sage, tarragon, and thyme to make mixed herbs. Store it in an airtight container, and it’s ready for use!
Fried Chicken Gizzard Variations
For chicken gizzard alternatives, you can try all sorts of chicken parts such as breasts, liver, and more. Note that the cooking time may vary, depending on the part that you used.
You can also try other herbs and spices of your choice to make it spicier or sweeter. For instance, you can add chili flakes or scotch bonnet for that kick of spice.
Chicken gizzards can also be baked or air fried:
In the oven
To bake, preheat the oven for a few minutes. Then, line the baking tray with parchment paper and spray the gizzards with oil. Bake them at 200°C for 15 minutes. At the 7-minute mark, flip it over to cook the other side.
In the air fryer
On the other hand, preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes. Cook the gizzards in batches and set the temperature to 200°C for 10 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, shake the air fryer basket to turn the gizzards over.
- Pot: Boil the seasoned chicken gizzards in the pot.
- Frying pan: Fry the boiled gizzards in the pan.
- Skimmer spoon: Remove the gizzards from heat using a skimmer.
- Knife: Peel and slice the ingredients with a clean knife.
- Cutting board: Chop the gizzards, herbs, and spices on separate cutting boards.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Fried Chicken Gizzards
This dish can be perfectly paired with:
You can also serve it with other dishes and stews:
In fact, these can even be consumed as snacks to make you feel full for a longer period of time. Meanwhile, for drink options, I highly recommend the following:
- At room temperature: Consume fried gizzards within 4 hours at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the drawbacks of eating chicken gizzards?
Chicken gizzards may be healthy but there are also risks, especially when they are consumed excessively. For instance, these can cause spikes in cholesterol levels.
Are chicken gizzards healthy?
In an article by My Recipes, the chicken gizzard is one of the most nutritious chicken parts. It’s high in protein but low in fat. This also contains vitamins such as B12 to aid in anemia and brain function. This ingredient is also great for immunity and muscle growth.
How long should gizzards be cooked?
Gizzards usually take about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the quantity and heat used to cook.
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.1 Corinthians 10:31
Fried Chicken Gizzard
- 4¼ cup chicken gizzards
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 ginger (optional)
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- sunflower oil (enough to deep-fry)
- cooked chicken gizzard
- Prepare the ingredients. To prepare the chicken gizzard, rinse it under cold water to remove residue. Slice it in half and run it over water again. To thoroughly remove the debris, rub the flesh Then, trim any yellowish lining you can see on the gizzards. Peel and mince the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Boil the chicken gizzards. In a pot, combine the chicken gizzard with garlic, onion, ginger, mixed herbs, sea salt, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock. Mix them together and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked. Once cooked, take out the gizzard from the liquid stock. Refrigerate the liquid stock for future use.
- Fry the gizzards. In a pan, heat sunflower oil over medium heat. Add the gizzard. Fry for 10 minutes or until fried. Remove it from heat and serve!
- Clean the gizzards thoroughly by rinsing them in water.
- Trim away the yellow lining. Store it properly to extend shelf life.
- Be creative with your herbs and spices to escalate the quality of the dish.
- Note that baking and air frying are best for breaded chicken gizzard recipes but also work well with broiled gizzards.
- Do not forget to boil the chicken gizzards in the seasoning mentioned in this recipe to infuse them with flavors before baking or air frying.