Fried Rice Recipe on a whole new level! There may be plenty of side dish recipes, but this Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice is undoubtedly one of the best. It has the turkey, the vegetables, the flavor, the texture, and the appetizing appearance!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
This fried rice is a delicious, healthy, flavorful, and succulent dish – perfect for any main dish during family gatherings, weekend hangouts, and celebrations!
How to Make Fried Rice
Learn this unforgettable Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice recipe to serve something worthwhile and palatable any day!
Rice and Turkey
While you can use other rice varieties, I highly recommend the Basmati rice for its light and fluffy texture. It’s absolutely gluten-free and accessible in grocery stores. This also has a nutty fragrance that’s more aromatic than white rice.
You can usually see these Middle Eastern or Indian dishes, but there’s no reason not to try them as fried rice! In fact, this is the variant I use for Jollof Rice.
Once cooked, turkey releases a rich, smokey, and meaty quality. The flesh is juicy and tender; once you season it, it’ll burst with flavor.
It’s also an excellent source of protein to balance with the vegetables in the dish. It’s perfect for Turkey Pie and other turkey recipes!
Fruits and Vegetables
Bell peppers have a mildly sweet flavor, making great fried rice ingredients. Not only does it add to the taste, but it also enriches the texture and the aroma of the overall dish.
Onion and ginger
The onion and ginger’s naturally pungent and slightly spicy characteristics contribute a more flavorful and textured quality to the dish. You probably already know that these are must-adds for stir fried recipes!
Don’t forget the carrots to add sweetness, nutrients, and color to the fried rice. These provide tremendous aid to blood pressure, bone health, and immunity. It can even add a new texture to the dish.
To make your fried rice healthier, you must add these crunchy and delicious green beans. These can add freshness in flavor, presentation, or appearance.
Compared to onions, spring onions have a mildly sweet and spicy flavor that releases a rich aroma once cooked. Even the texture and color add an incredible caliber to the fried rice.
You’ll love the sweet, juicy, buttery quality of the sweetcorn in the dish. It certainly gives the fried rice a more tantalizing aspect that blends perfectly with the other ingredients.
Seasoning and Spices
We’ll use the best, most flavorful, and aromatic herbs and spices for this dish. The seasoning will include mixed herbs, curry powder, stock cubes, bay leaves, and more! Customize it to your liking for a personal touch to the recipe!
Isn’t it starting to sound like a dish already? With the combination of flavors, textures, colors, and aromas, this Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice is nothing short of the best!
- Slice green bell pepper, ginger, and scotch bonnet with a knife.
- Blend the chopped ingredient in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- Wash and drain the basmati rice several times until the water is clear. Place it in a container for later use.
- In a pot, lightly fry the onion with mixed herbs, curry powder, stock cubes, garlic powder, and sea salt over a medium-low fire.
- Pour in the rinsed rice and mix until well combined.
- Incorporate the bell pepper sauce and bay leaves.
- Add the frozen liquid stock in the middle and submerge it in the rice. Leave it to cook over very low heat.
- Check the flavor and texture at intervals until the rice becomes fluffy. Season as needed. Add water and cook further. Set it aside.
- In a frying pan, saute the onion with mixed herbs, curry powder, and stock cube.
- Then, toss in the diced smoked turkey and fry for 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the carrots, green beans, and spring onion, and fry for another 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt.
- Next, add the cooked rice that’s enough for the vegetables.
- Stir in the diced mixed bell peppers and sweetcorn. Cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- And just like that, you have yourself the best Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice Recipe ever!
This fried rice is a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals that you need for the day. It might as well be a complete meal on its own! You get the rice, the meat, and the vegetables in one bowl!
How to Select and Store the Ingredients
Selection. Basmati rice is usually sold in packages in local grocery stores. Ensure that the packaging is free from moisture, holes, and molds for fresh quality and extended shelf life.
Storage. It is best to store uncooked basmati rice in an airtight container in a cool and dry area. Once cooked, put it in a container or resealable bag and refrigerate it for up to 6 days.
Selection. Opt for bell peppers with shiny, smooth, and unblemished skin. The stem should also be attached.
Storage. Store them in a mesh bag and refrigerate them for up to 2 weeks. For chopped bell peppers, place them in lined airtight containers to last up to 3 days in the fridge.
Selection. Purchase firm and plump carrots with vibrant orange and smooth skin. The green tops should still be attached. These are best bought in bunches.
Storage. Slice off the leafy greens and set them aside for cooking. Then, vacuum-seal the carrots in a perforated bag or plastic. Food 52 also recommends keeping them away from fruits and vegetables to prolong shelf life.
Selection. Go for green beans that are long with a tender and flexible exterior. They should also feel firm to the touch. You should also hear a snap when you break it apart.
Storage. Refrigerate the unwashed green beans in resealable bags to last up to 4 days.
Selection. According to BBC Good Food, always buy onions that are firm and green with fresh bulbs and leaves.
Storage. Store the spring onions in mesh bags in the fridge. Make sure to use it within 4 days.
Selection. Buy corn with a healthy green and slightly wet husk. You can make your sweetcorn at home, but you can also use canned sweet corn if preferred.
Storage. Individually wrap the corn in cling film to preserve moisture. Refrigerate to last up to a week.
How to Make Pepper Sauce Without a Blender
Aside from a blender, you can also use a food processor, a food mill, or a mortar and pestle to make the green bell pepper sauce. Otherwise, grate the ingredients and use them as they are for added texture and color.
How to Cook Smoked Turkey
- In making your smoked turkey, preheat the oven or griller to 120°C.
- Spray or brush an aluminum pan with oil.
- Put the turkey in the pan and stuff the wings inside.
- Fill the turkey cavity with onions and other herbs of your choice.
- Tie the legs together to seal it in.
- Rub your preferred seasoning on the turkey and let it cook in the smoker for at least 6 hours, depending on its size. You can baste it with broth from time to time to add moisture and flavor.
- Once cooked, let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving it on a plate.
Aside from using an oven or griller, you can cook it in a slow cooker for 8 hours.
How to Make and Store Liquid Stock
Homemade liquid stock is a useful ingredient that you can use for other dishes.
- To cook yours at home, start by blending tomatoes, onion, scotch bonnet, ginger, garlic, mixed herbs, curry powder, paprika, turmeric, stock cubes, sea salt, and water until smooth and runny.
- Use chicken and beef or other meat of your choice. You can even use vegetables.
- Add the blended seasoning and mix until well incorporated. Cover and cook until tender.
- Take out the meat and freeze the liquid stock in ice cube trays.
- Pop them out whenever you need them or store them in freezer bags to last up to several weeks.
Fried Rice Recipe Variations
If you don’t have basmati rice, use other varieties like white rice or Jasmine rice. It’s best to use long grain rice for fluffy and lose quality. You can also replace the smoked turkey with cooked or leftover chicken, beef, pork, or even other vegetarian or vegan substitutes.
Meanwhile, the vegetables can include peas, broccoli, cabbage, zucchini, asparagus, etc. You might also want to incorporate butter or oyster sauce to enrich the flavor of the rice.
I also recommend cooking other fried rice recipes like Coconut Rice, and Nigerian Party Jollof Rice for alternatives.
- Blender: Make the bell pepper sauce in a blender.
- Frying pan: Fry the rice, turkey, and vegetables using a pan.
- Pot: Cook the rice in a saucepan or pot.
- Bowl: Rinse the basmati rice in a bowl.
- Wooden spatula: Toss the ingredients together with a wooden spatula.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Fried Rice
You can have this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner meals to consume it as it is or pair it with other dishes like:
Consume this every other day in moderation to incorporate other nutrient sources in your body. You can use small servings for meal prep or diet plans. It’s also a good on-the-go dish because it has rice, meat, and vegetables.
- At room temperature: Consume the fried rice within 2 hours to prevent spoilage.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you make fried rice?
First, make sure that you have leftover or pre-cooked rice. Then, chop your favorite vegetables and prepare your preferred herbs and spices. In a pan, heat oil with a high smoke point and sautee the vegetables with the herbs and spices.
Then, add the rice and mix until well incorporated. Feel free to use any kind of protein or meat to add flavor. The great thing about it is that fried rice is customizable to your liking!
What is the secret to good fried rice?
According to The Christian Science Monitor, here are some of the things to consider when making fried rice:
- Use medium to long grain rice or leftover rice for loose texture.
- Aside from a pan, you can also fry the dish in a skillet. Remember not to overcrowd it.
- Do not overdo the seasoning for a subtle flavor.
What gives fried rice its flavor?
For this recipe, the bell pepper sauce, smoked turkey, herbs, and spices are the primary contributors to the flavor. The fusion of these ingredients instantly enriches the dish in taste and quality.
Do you cook rice before frying it?
Yes, pre-cooked rice is best for fried rice to prevent lumping grains and sticky consistency.
Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice
For the sauce
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 scotch bonnet (chopped)
- ½ cup water
For the basmati rice
- 3 cups basmati rice
- sauce (made above)
- ½ cup liquid stock
- 250 g smoked turkey
- 1 cooking spoon sunflower oil
- ½ onion (medium sized)
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- A pinch garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 bay leaves
For the mixed vegetables
- 1 cooking spoon sunflower oil
- ½ onion (medium-sized)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 80 g green beans (sliced)
- 30 g spring onion (cut) (chopped)
- A pinch sea salt
- ½ mixed bell peppers (½ red and ½ yellow)
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- Prepare the bell pepper sauce. Slice green bell pepper, ginger, and scotch bonnet (optional) and blend them together until smooth. Then, set it aside.
- Rinse the rice. Put basmati rice in a bowl. Wash and drain in several times until the water is clear. Place it in a container for later use
- Cook the rice.In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-low fire. Slightly fry the onion with mixed herbs, curry powder, stock cubes, garlic powder, sea salt. Stir it continuously. Pour in the rinsed rice and mix until well combined. Incorporate the bell pepper sauce and bay leaves. Add the frozen liquid stock in the middle and submerge it in the rice. Leave it to cook over very low heat. Check the flavor and texture at intercals until the rice becomes fluffy. Season as needed. Add water and cook further. Set it aside.
- Fry the rice. Before frying, make sure that you have chopped the turkey and the vegetables. In a pan, allow oil to heat over medium fire. Sautee the onion with mixed herbs, curry powder, and stock cube. Then, toss in the diced smoked turkey and fry for 2 minutes. Incorporate the carrots, green beans, spring onion, and fry for another 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Next, add the cooked rice that’s enough for the vegetables. Stir in the diced mixed bell peppers and sweetcorn. Cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.And just like that, you have yourself the most best Turkey and Veggie Fried Rice Recipe ever!
- Use medium to long-grain rice for a fluffy and tender texture.
- Substitute chicken, beef, pork, or fish for the turkey.
- Fry it in a skillet with oil with a high smoke point.
- Incorporate your preferred seasoning but keep it in moderation.