Do you want to try something new for a tasty and healthy dinner? Oven-Grilled Croaker Fish is the answer! This Grilled Croaker will surely spice things up in your kitchen. It is one of the best family-friendly fish recipes for grilling that I have ever served!
Grilled fish in the oven is foolproof for succulent, tasty fish always. Include this recipe in your favorite main dishes to enjoy an immaculate dining experience!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
This blog will provide you with an introduction to this delightful seafood dish, as well as information on how to prepare it. You’ll learn about the health benefits of grilled croaker fish, discover its potential flavors, and get tips on how to successfully cook the perfect grilled croaker fish.
How to Make Oven-Grilled Croaker Fish
With thousands of ways to cook fish, this is definitely one of the best. It combines the fresh flavor of the fish and the rich aroma and taste of herbs, spices, and vegetables! So what are you waiting for? It’s time to fire up that grill and get cooking!
Croaker is one of the most delicious and nutritious fish for dishes. In addition, this fish can do wonders for your vision, digestion, energy, immunity, and bone health.
Unlike other fresh seafood, croaker fish tends to have a mild sweetness once cooked. It has firm flesh and edible skin that you will surely enjoy after grilling it!
Use any leftover croaker for Fish Stew to make the most of this delicious seafood.
Bell pepper and sweet pepper
Above all, these are commonly used for their strong aroma and sweet taste, bringing out the best in every dish.
These can also be used for side dishes for Grilled Croaker Fish such as Jollof Rice, Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry, and Egusi Soup!
Using cooking oil can instantly elevate the quality of the dish. It has a relatively high smoke point, making it great for oven grilling.
You will be pleased to know that this recipe only requires basic spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, dill, fenugreek, paprika, and more! Once combined, these will have a robust flavor to the fish and the garnish.
Onion and garlic
Of course, you can’t forget classic ingredients such as onion and garlic. In fact, these can instantly make a meal better by giving a sweet and pungent taste.
A scotch bonnet is recommended for adding some spice to your dish. It’s spicier than jalapeños so use it in moderation! Keep them fresh by checking out these tried and tested scotch bonnet storage tips.
This ingredient greatly helps bring a slight sweetness and crunch to the dish. What’s more, is that it works well as a dressing and as a garnish!
To infuse the dish with fragrant and refreshing herbs, use basil, parsley, coriander, and mint! Indeed, these are guaranteed to intensify the natural flavors of the croaker.
Doesn’t it sound like a stellar dish already? It is truly an amazing take on how you cook fish. This oven-grilled recipe is a surefire way of surprising yourself and your guests with good-quality fish!
- With a knife, chop the bell peppers, onion, spring onion, ginger, garlic, and scotch bonnet.
- In a bowl, season the chopped ingredients with tarragon, fenugreek, fill, mace, paprika, and sea salt.
- Drizzle the ingredients with olive oil. Mix them and set them aside.
- In a small container, combine sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Gut and scale the croaker fish. Score it on both sides and smear it with olive oil and a dry rub.
- Dab the seasoning on the inside and the slashed fish areas.
- Stuff the croaker fish with basil, parsley, coriander, and mint.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the seasoned mixed peppers at the center of the tray.
- Put the fish on top of the peppers.
- Grill at 200°C for 15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- After 15 minutes, take the tray out and turn the fish over to cook the other side for 10 minutes or until fully grilled.
- For garnish, finely chop basil and spring onion.
- Mix the herbs with olive oil and spread them on top of the fish.
- Plate the dish to your liking and serve!
Yes, it is that easy to make oven-grilled croaker! This dish is undoubtedly colorful, appetizing, aromatic, and simply delicious in all its qualities!
How to Select, Store, and Prepare Croaker Fish
Selection. Choose fish that are stored on clean and drained ice. You can opt to purchase the fish in pieces or packages. The fish should not have a foul odor. Look for fish with shiny and clear eyes.
Storage. According to The Spruce Eats, you can refrigerate the fish by putting it on top of a rack in a large container with ice at the bottom. Use the fish within two days. On the other hand, you can also freeze the fish in labeled containers or freezer bags to use within 2 weeks.
Preparation. Descale the fish by angling your knife to scrape off the scales. Hold the fish by the tail as you do this step. To gut the fish, make an incision between the fins and slice upward. Once the flesh is exposed, pull out the guts and the liver.
Alternative Ways to Cook Fish
Aside from oven-grilling the croaker, you can also try other cooking methods.
To sautee or fry on the stove, use a nonstick skillet to heat oil or butter over medium to high fire. Cook the croaker for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Sautee the vegetables and assemble them on a plate!
First, check if the fish can fit in the air fryer basket. Line or grease the basket and place the marinated fish at the center. Set the air fryer at 200°C for 10 to 12 minutes. Remember to flip it halfway until the skin becomes brown and crispy.
Preheat the grill and let the fish cook for 20 minutes. At the 10-minute mark, flip the fish over to cook both sides. You can also wrap it in aluminum foil to protect the skin from direct fire and to fully infuse the herbs inside.
In a pot, pour water and put the steaming basket on top. Let the water boil before placing the fish in the basket. Steam it over high heat for at least 10 minutes but remove it from the pot after 2 more minutes.
Oven-Grilled Croaker Fish Variations
Alternatively, you can grill other seafood such as mahi-mahi, tuna, or salmon as an alternative to a croaker. Tilapia and halibut may also be excellent options for this recipe.
Aside from sweet and bell peppers, Food Network recommends other vegetables you can use for oven-grilled food. The list includes cabbage, okra, artichokes, beets, kale, potatoes, and carrots!
Don’t be afraid to try a cooking style that best suits your preferences. Instead of oven-grilling, feel free to opt for frying, steaming, or air frying!
- Oven: Grill the croaker in the oven.
- Baking tray: Arrange the fish bed and the croaker on the baking tray.
- Parchment paper: Line the tray with parchment paper to avoid burning.
- Cutting board: Peel and slice the ingredients over a cutting board.
- Wooden spatula: Stir the ingredients with a wooden spatula.
- Glass bowl: Prepare the ingredients, rubs, and marinades in glass bowls.
- Measuring spoons: Measure your ingredients for perfect seasoning.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Oven Grilled Croaker Fish
Oven-grilled dishes can be served with rice, salads, sauces, beans, and more roasted vegetables! In fact, with the soft flesh of the fish and the vegetables, this oven-grilled fish recipe can be consumed on its own.
Check out these dishes to make your Grilled Croaker Fish worthwhile:
Croaker is best eaten when you have lots of time on your plate because it can be boney, hence, it will take a while to finish. In fact, this might even be best eaten using your hands – for experience and efficiency.
If served in an event with kids, ensure that the children are monitored for safety purposes. Meanwhile, the following drinks also make great refreshments for this recipe:
- At room temperature: Smarter Homemaker suggests consuming cooked fish within 2 hours to prevent bacteria growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is croaker good for grilling?
Croaker fish is great for grilling because it releases a juicy quality and delicious flavor once grilled to perfection. It only takes a short time to cook too.
Is croaker fish healthy to eat?
Yes, this oven-grilled fish recipe is healthy because it uses quality and fresh fish and provides nutrients and minerals from the vegetables, herbs, and spices used.
This dish is definitely healthier than grilling hotdogs and burgers. Oven-grilling also seals in the flavors for a more satisfying experience.
What do you eat with croaker fish?
Croaker fish is best enjoyed with different kinds of rice and vegetables to enhance flavor, texture, and aroma.
Delicious Oven-Grilled Croaker Fish (VIDEO)
- 1 croaker fish (gutted and scaled)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ red sweet pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ orange bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ onion (medium-sized)
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 scotch bonnet (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 spring onion
- pinch of ginger powder
- pinch of tarragon
- pinch of dill
- pinch of mace
- pinch of fenugreek
- 1 stalk basil
- 1 stalk curly parsley
- 1 stalk coriander
- 1 stalk mint
- spring onion (chopped)
- basil (chopped)
- olive oil
- Make the fish bedding. Rinse and chop the bell peppers. Then, slice the onion, spring onion, ginger, garlic, and scotch bonnet. In a bowl, season the chopped ingredients with tarragon, fenugreek, fill, mace, paprika, and sea salt. Drizzle the olive oil. Mix them together and set them aside.
- Make the fish rub. In a small container, combine sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir them until well incorporated. Set it aside.
- Prepare the fish. Gut and scale the croaker fish. Score it on both sides and smear with olive oil and the dry rub. Dab the seasoning on the inside and on the slashed areas of the fish. Grab the basil, parsley, coriander, and mint and use them as stuffing for the croaker.
- Grill the fish. Line the baking tray with parchment paper. Place the seasoned mixed peppers at the center. Put the fish on top of the peppers. Grill at 200°C for 15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.After 15 minutes, take the tray out and turn the fish over to cook the other side for 10 minutes or until fully grilled.
- Garnish. For garnish, finely chop basil and spring onion. Mix these together with olive oil and spread them on top of the fish.
- Purchase fresh and quality croaker fish.
- Descale and gut the fish.
- Flip the fish over to cook both sides.
- Reheat it in the oven for at least 10 minutes.
- Spoiled fish will have a sour and foul odor. It will also look dry, slushy, or slimy.
- According to Fresh Fish Daily, the best way to reheat fish is to pop it in the oven at 170°C for at least 10 minutes. Wrap it loosely with aluminum foil to retain the moisture. You can also drizzle it with a bit of olive oil.