Can’t get enough of Yummieliciouz rice recipes? Wait until you’ve tried this Coconut Rice! You can pair it with any main dish of your choice to enjoy its aromatic and flavorful quality.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Bring an Asian twist to your meals by trying out this recipe over the weekend or for celebrations with your family!
How to Make Coconut Fried Rice
To upgrade your rice recipes, try this coconut-infused fried rice dish! It’s meaty and coco-nutty!
Asli Basmati Rice
Aside from conventional kinds of rice, Asli basmati rice is a rice variant that you should try. It is rich in fiber and vitamins to help with heart health, cancer prevention, and brain function.
It’s easy to prepare and it pairs well with stir-fry, coconut milk, beans, protein, and more. Asli basmati rice also has elongated grains with a fragrant aroma. You can also use this delicious African Jollof Rice!
Coconut milk is dairy-free milk with anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. It aids in weight loss, immunity, and gastrointestinal health. Coconut milk has a rich, smooth, and nutty flavor.
Don’t let leftover coconut milk go to waste and make Nigerian Coconut Egg Rolls or Coconut Chin Chin!
Turkey is rich in protein which helps with muscle buildup, metabolism, and bone health.
Once smoked, it becomes flavorful and juicy to the taste. Its meat becomes tender and plump at every bite.
Herbs and spices
For the seasoning, use mixed herbs, curry powder, sea salt, bay leaves, liquid stock, and chicken stock cubes. These will enhance the flavor of the coconut fried rice for a more succulent and luscious taste.
To add color, flavor, and nutrients to the rice, use bell peppers, carrots, green beans, spring onions, and sweet corn. These ingredients will aid in immunity, digestion, cell damage repair, and more.
The ingredients are perfect for making the sauce and rice bursting with flavors and colors! These aren’t the common ingredients for fried rice but trust me, you won’t regret making this Coconut Fried Rice!
- Use a blender or food processor to blend the green bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet, and water together. Set it aside.
- Pour rice into a bowl and rinse it with water several times until the water becomes clear.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onions, mixed herbs, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock cubes.
- Incorporate the rinsed rice and green pepper sauce.
- Pour in the liquid stock and coconut milk. Mix until well combined.
- Add bay leaves and cover the saucepan with a lid to simmer over low heat.
- Let the rice cook for up to 12 minutes or until done.
- Rinse and dice the vegetables.
- Then, heat some oil in a large pan to sautee the onions with mixed herbs, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock cube.
- Add in the smoked turkey and toss them together. Fry everything together for 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the diced carrots, green beans, and chopped spring onions.
- Season it with sea salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the coconut fried rice. Mix it together with the vegetables and let it simmer over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Garnish it with chopped mixed bell peppers and grated coconut. Mix it with the rice for extra texture.
- Do a taste test and add more seasoning as needed. After that, it is ready to serve!
Serving this Coconut Fried Rice will surely be an unforgettable experience! You’re not just tasting flavors, you’re also getting a taste of unique and rich culture!
How to Store Asli Basmati Rice
- Unopened Asli basmati rice should be stored in a cool and dry area of your kitchen.
- Once opened, transfer it into an airtight container or seal its original packaging.
- It can also be stored in the fridge or freezer to avoid bugs and contaminants.
- For cooked plain Asli basmati rice, store it in an airtight container in the fridge to last up to 6 days or in freezer bags to last up to 6 months in the freezer.
How to Make Homemade Coconut Milk
Making your own coconut milk is simple, practical, and healthy because it saves you from preservatives and additives in store-bought coconut milk!
Open the coconut and scrape off the coconut meat. Transfer the coconut water to a container and set it aside. Then, dice the coconut meat.
Use a blender to blend the diced coconut meat, coconut water, and water for a creamy and smooth texture. Once blended, filter the milk using a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer. Use a spoon to extract all of the milk.
Store it in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze it until use.
How to Store Herbs and Spices
To achieve a well-seasoned coconut fried rice, you need to make sure that the herbs and spices you will use are edible and properly preserved.
When it comes to storage, seasonings can be stored in their original packaging as long as you seal them closed.
Alternatively, transfer the spices into airtight containers. Store them in cool and dry places away from the sunlight.
How to Select and Store Vegetables
Selection. Go for bell peppers that feel firm with brightly colored and smooth skin. Avoid ones with discoloration or soft spots.
Storage. Bell peppers are best stored in resealable bags in the fridge to last up to 3 weeks.
Selection. Carrots should have a deep orange color with bright green leaves. Refrain from buying cracked or split carrots to ensure freshness. The larger the carrots are, the sweeter they will be.
Storage. To store, cut off the leafy greens on top of the carrots and put them in unsealed plastic bags to last up to several weeks in the fridge.
Selection. Green beans should have smooth and firm skin. It should be free from creases or holes. If they feel a bit moist, it is totally fine because it means that the green beans are sweet. Medium-sized green beans are recommended.
Storage. Preserve the unwashed green beans in plastic bags in the fridge to last up to a week.
Selection. Healthy spring onions should have a firm bulb at the bottom with upright greens. There should be no signs of wilting as well.
Storage. Spring onions can be stored at room temperature if you plan on using them within 2 days. Otherwise, place them in a plastic bag to refrigerate for a week.
Selection. The corn husks should be green without holes or dark spots. The tassel should also be brown with a sweet fragrance. Squeeze the husk to feel the plump kernels of the corn.
Storage. It can be stored at room temperature if you’re going to use it for a few hours. However, for future use, wrap it in plastic and store it in the fridge to last up to several days.
Coconut Fried Rice Variations
This Coconut Fried Rice Recipe is perfectly gluten-free and lactose-free! There are also lots of vegetables to make it healthy and vegetarian.
For a vegan-free version, you can skip the protein and add in more vegetables instead. To substitute liquid stock, you can use vegetable stock instead.
Chop and season your preferred vegetables and let them boil for at least 30 minutes before draining the vegetables and extracting the vegetable stock.
For toppings, you may opt for beef, chicken, or fish.
- Blender: Use the blender to make the green sauce.
- Frying pan: Fry the rice with the vegetables in a large frying pan.
- Saucepan: Cook the Asli basmati rice in a saucepan.
- Knife: Slice the vegetables using a clean knife.
- Spatula: Combine the ingredients using a spatula.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Coconut Fried Rice
You can serve this Coconut Fried Rice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! It pairs well with:
- Roasted Plantains
- Moi Moi
- Scotch Eggs
- Fried Chicken Gizzards
- Roast Chicken
- Grilled Croaker
- Fried Fish Fillet
You can simply serve it on a plate to accentuate the colors of the vegetables and the rice. It’s so flavorful on its own that it barely needs other ingredients to make it delicious!
- At room temperature: Coconut fried rice can only last up to 2 hours at room temperature to prevent bacteria and contamination.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does coconut rice taste like coconut?
Coconut fried rice will have a hint of coconut flavor but it is usually slightly sweet and savory. The added ingredients balance the nutty taste for a wholesome flavor.
Is coconut rice good for health?
Of course! Coconut rice is beneficial for metabolism, immunity, healthy skin and hair, and digestion. It also relieves stress to put you in a better and more productive mood.
Why is coconut rice mushy?
If the coconut rice is too mushy, it means that it was cooked in too much water. Use a proportionate amount of water to achieve slightly loose and fluffy rice.
Coconut Fried Rice
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- ½ medium-sized onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 thumb-sized ginger
- ½ cup water
- 1 scotch bonnet (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk (fresh)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup liquid stock
- 2 cooking spoons sunflower oil
- ½ medium-sized onion
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 stock cubes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups Asli basmati rice
For mixed vegetables
- 1 cooking spoon sunflower oil
- ½ medium-sized onion
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 stock cubes
- 250 g smoked turkey (diced)
- 3 medium-sized carrots (peeled and diced)
- 80 g green beans (chopped)
- 30 g spring onions (chopped)
- pinch sea salt
- mixed bell peppers (½ red, ½ orange, and ½ yellow)
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup coconut (freshly grated)
- Make the sauce. For the sauce, blend the green bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet, and water together. It will turn into a smooth and green mixture that’s absolutely delicious on its own. Set it aside.
- Prepare the asli basmati rice. Add rice into a bowl and rinse it with water several times until it becomes clear.
- Cook the rice. In a large saucepan, heat some oil to sautee onions, mixed herbs, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock cubes. Fry these ingredients for a minute. Then, mix in the rinsed rice and green pepper sauce. Pour in the liquid stock, followed by the homemade coconut milk. Mix until well combined. Add bay leaves and cover the saucepan with a lid to simmer over low heat. Let the rice cook for up to 12 minutes or until done. Check the texture of the rice and add water as required. Set this aside.
- Incorporate the vegetables. First, rinse and dice the vegetables. Then, heat some oil in a large pan to sautee the onions with mixed herbs, curry powder, and knorr chicken stock cube. Add in the smoked turkey and toss them together. If preferred, you can also use prawns, chicken, beef, or liver. Fry everything together for 2 minutes. Incorporate the diced carrots, green beans, and chopped spring onions. Season it with sea salt and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the coconut fried rice. Do it in portions to ensure the vegetables are enough for the coconut-fried rice. Mix it with the vegetables and let it simmer over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Garnish the rice. For the final touches, pour in the chopped mixed bell peppers and grated coconut. Mix it with the rice for extra texture. Do a taste test and add more seasoning as needed. After that, it is ready to serve!
- Feel free to use other ingredients that best suit your diet and preferences.
- Homemade coconut milk is best for lactose-free fried rice.
- Cook the rice according to the packaging instructions.
- Check the texture of the rice and add water as required. Set this aside.
- Instead of smoked turkey, you can also use prawns, chicken, beef, or liver if preferred.
- Add the rice with the vegetables in portions to ensure that the vegetables are enough for the coconut-fried rice.