Host an unforgettable Thanksgiving meal with hearty, savory, and satisfying Turkey Pie!
The smooth and tender crust will taste exceptionally amazing with the perfectly seasoned turkey inside. I’m sure all of your guests would love a slice of this pie.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Give your family the best dining experience with a simple yet incredibly delicious Turkey Pie!
How to Make Turkey Pie
This Turkey Pie recipe has earned its name because it is as easy as pie. It’s one of my favorite pie recipes, and it might even be your favorite too!
Don’t forget to add these ingredients to your Thanksgiving grocery list:
There are many pie fillings you can try, and turkey is one of the best. It has a smoky and savory that tastes richer than chicken. You will also love how tender yet chewy it is.
You can use fresh or leftover turkey, depending on your preference. Make sure to season and marinate homemade turkey for a burst of flavor.
According to UCLA Health, mushrooms can help prevent cancer, protect the brain, and even boost immunity. You will also be amazed it can taste a bit like meat!
Make the filling pungent and peppery with the natural taste of onion. Even its remarkable aroma can take the dish to a new level. Once cooked, you will love how caramelized they taste and feel.
It’s also one of the best aromatics to use with chicken, beef, or fish for an even better flavor.
Get perfect Turkey Pie slices by binding the filling together with a thickener. Use water and flour to create a slurry that will give the filling the best texture.
When it comes to making filling, never skip the seasoning. I suggest using simple spices, such as salt, mixed herbs, all-purpose seasoning, paprika, and curry powder for a burst of flavor.
Fry the filling in oil with a high smoke point like sunflower oil. It also has a neutral flavor that will affect the taste of the ingredients.
Make your own pie crust at home, starting with flour. It will give you a flaky and crusty pie on the outside with a soft and tender texture in the middle.
Achieve the flaky and fragrant quality in a pie with butter in the dough. It will give the dish a light texture and buttery flavor. In fact, the butter can add to its golden brown color, too.
Make the dough easy to mix, shape, and set with evaporated milk. Aside from the moisture it gives, the milk also adds a mildly sweet flavor for a tastier crust.
Whenever you make a pie, you will need leavening agents to let the dough rise. In this recipe, use eggs for a tender texture and a beautifully colored glaze on top.
Even if it’s just the crust, you still need to season it with sugar and salt. These can instantly improve the quality of the dish because even the crust is a source of flavor.
Indeed, it is an affordable recipe you can make during the holidays and Thanksgiving meals. The pie filling is also customizable, so you can make a unique pie every time you cook it!
Out of all the pie recipes, this Turkey and Mushroom Pie has got to be one of the easiest ones!
- Heat oil in a pot over medium fire.
- Saute the onion and garlic.
- Season it with mixed herbs, smoked paprika, powder, all-purpose seasoning, and salt.
- Stir fry the turkey for five minutes with a wooden spatula.
- Then, add the mushrooms.
- Cover and cook for five minutes.
- Use a sieve to filter the flour and add water to thicken.
- Cover and simmer.
- Set it aside.
- Sieve the flour over a large bowl, add sugar and salt, and mix with a whisk.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
- Then, knead in the egg and evaporated milk.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Use a dough cutter to slice the dough into half over a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough using a rolling pin according to the size of your pie dish.
- Mold the dough around the pie dish .
- Pull any overhanging dough towards the inside.
- Then, add the cooked filling inside.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the edge of the pie crust with a beaten egg.
- Cover the pie with the remaining rolled-out dough.
- Tuck the pastry in and press the edge to seal. Make cuts on the top dough.
- Apply egg wash on the top crust for golden brown doneness.
- Bake the pie at 190°C in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden.
- Place it on a cooling wire rack to rest at room temperature.
- Gently remove it from the pie pan. Slice and serve!
Give it a taste, and you won’t be able to get enough of it! This dish has a flavorful and flaky crust, rich and yummy filling, and a quality that can make any occasion special.
Check out these tips for the best Turkey Pie recipe!
- According to Reader’s Digest, you can go for fresh or frozen turkey.
- Make sure to purchase one that is well-rounded.
- Small turkey tends to be more tender compared to large ones.
- You can store pre-cut turkey in the fridge for four days or in the freezer for up to six months.
- Put them in resealable bags or containers to keep them fresh.
- Mushroom Council suggests fresh mushrooms with a smooth appearance and slightly dry texture.
- They should also feel plump.
- Avoid ones with soft spots or foul odor.
- Keep mushrooms in their original packaging, but once opened, transfer them into a mesh bag.
- Keep them in the fridge for a week.
- You can only freeze the ones that have been sauteed.
Making mixed herbs
Here are more tips on how you can improve any pie recipe:
- All Recipes suggests keeping the butter cold for an extra flaky crust.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge to prevent shrinking during baking.
- Preheat the oven to prepare it for baking the pie.
- Make slices on top of the top dough to allow steam to escape and to give the pie a unique design.
- Let the cooked pie rest at room temperature before slicing and serving.
- Brush the pie with egg wash to give moisture and color to the top.
- Also, chill the dough after you mold it into the pie pan.
- Seal the dough around the edges to prevent the pie from warping.
- Use the color of the pie as an indicator of doneness.
- Bake the pie on the bottom rack of your oven.
Turkey and Mushroom Pie Variations
Pies are one of the customizable dishes you can cook for celebrations. I love mixing the flavors of turkey and mushroom, but you are free to make any filling you like.
For instance, instead of turkey, you can simply use chicken, beef, or even a combination of your favorite meat. Meanwhile, you can use carrots, celery, broccoli, green beans, potatoes, and more instead of mushrooms.
If you prefer a gluten-free pie crust, then use gluten-free flour. Replace the eggs with the egg substitutes such as softened oats, nut butter, and other alternatives. Meanwhile, you can use almond milk instead of evaporated milk for an all-natural option.
There are plenty of other pie fillings to choose from. You can also go for coconut cream, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, strawberry jam, baked apples, pecans, cheesecake, rhubarb, and more.
I suggest trying this recipe with my Chicken Pie or Meat Pie filling for an extra smokey and meaty flavor. Aside from cooking it in a pie pan, you can also use a cake pan, muffin containers, or tart pan for cooking the pie.
Here are also alternative ways to cook Turkey and Mushroom Pie if you don’t have an oven:
In a pot
- Place an iron stand in the middle of a large pot.
- Preheat it over a medium-low fire for 10 minutes. You can also put ceramic baking beans in the pot for better cooking.
- Then, cover the pie pan with aluminum foil.
- Cook for about 50 minutes or until done.
In the air fryer
- Use a pie pan large enough to fit in the air fryer basket.
- Cover the pie with aluminum foil and cook for 45 minutes at 190°C. Note that cooking time depends on how large your pie is.
- Oven: Bake the Turkey Pie in the oven.
- Wok: Cook the pie filling in a wok over a stove.
- Wooden spatula: Stir the filling using a wooden spatula.
- Glass bowls: Prepare the ingredients and dough in glass bowls.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Measure the ingredients to balance the flavors.
- Fine-mesh sieve: Sieve the dry dough ingredients for a smooth texture.
- Whisk: Combine dough ingredients with a whisk.
- Cling film: Cover the dough with cling film to leaven.
- Dough cutter: Slice the dough using a dough cutter.
- Rolling pin: Flatten the pie crust with a rolling pin.
- Pie pan: Prepare the pie in a pie pan for shape and form.
- Silicone brush: Apply the egg wash using a silicone brush.
- Knife: Cut the top crust with a knife.
- Cooling wire rack: Place the baked pie on a cooling wire rack.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Turkey and Mushroom Pie
Turkey and Mushroom Pie makes a great Thanksgiving dish, but you can also serve it for weekend meals, New Year, and other celebrations. Pre-slice it before serving to make it easier for your guests to get their pieces.
This recipe can also be prepared with different sauces or dips. For side dishes, you can cook these special Yummieliciouz recipes that my family loves:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Chicken Wings
- Roast Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Meanwhile, you can also have tropical and healthy drinks to go with this pie:
Let the pie cool at room temperature for about 20 to 25 minutes before cutting and serving. You can serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Preheat leftovers in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 160°C before serving.
Make any day a special pie day by cooking this Turkey Pie!
- At room temperature: Serve and eat the Turkey Pie within two hours or while it’s still hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does turkey pie last?
At room temperature, I suggest eating the Turkey Pie within two hours. In the fridge, you can keep it for up to four days. Meanwhile, you can store it uncooked in the freezer for several weeks or months.
How long to heat up turkey pie?
Reheat the pie in the oven at 180°C for about twenty minutes. Then, cover it with foil to prevent burning at the top. However, it still depends on how much is left.
What is homemade pie crust made of?
In this recipe, the pie crust is made of flour, butter, eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt. These will also make the pie crust flaky, tender, and delicious!
What are the 3 types of pie crust?
The three types of pie crust are Sucrée, Brisée, and Sablée. Sucrée is a light and crisp dough that can help with moist and liquid filling. I suggest using it for creamy, fruity, or chocolatey pies.
Meanwhile, the sablée is a crumbly and sandy crust that works best for fruit tarts. On the other hand, the brisée is the most basic crust that has stronger crumbs for meat pies like Turkey Pie!
Turkey and Mushroom Pie
For the filling
For the pie crust
- 3 cups flour
- 10 tbsp butter
- A pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tbsp fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 egg
For the filling
- Sautee the onion. Pour oil into a pot and heat over medium fire. Saute the onion and garlic for a minute. Season it with mixed herbs, paprika, powder, all-purpose seasoning, and salt.
- Cook the filling.Add the diced turkey and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add the chestnut mushrooms. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes. Sieve the flour and add water to thicken it. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Set it aside.
For the pie
- Make the dough.Sieve the flour over a large bowl, add sugar and salt, and mix with a whisk. Add the butter and mix until crumbly. Incorporate the egg, evaporated milk, and knead. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Mold the dough.Use a dough cutter to slice the dough into half over a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough using a rolling pin according to the size of your pie pan. Mold the dough around the pan and pull any overhanging dough towards the inside.
- Assemble pie.Add the cooked filling inside. Brush the edges of the pie crust with a beaten egg. Cover the pie with the remaining rolled-out dough. Tuck the pastry in and press the edges to seal. Make several cuts on the top dough. Apply egg wash on the top crust for golden brown doneness.
- Bake the pie. Cook the pie at 190°C in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden. Place it on an iron cooling rack to let it rest at room temperature. Gently remove it from the pie pan. Slice and serve!
- Aside from cooking it in a pie pan, you can use a cake pan, muffin containers, or tart pan for cooking the pie.
- Use chilled butter for a better pie crust.
- You can also cook the pie in a pot or in the air fryer.
- Refrigerate the dough after kneading and after molding it in the pie pan.