Craving for a homemade sweet snack? Crave no more! This Fluffy Donut recipe will teach you how to make fluffy donuts and your own strawberry jam for filling!
The best part of this recipe is that the donuts are filled with delicious, sweet, and superb homemade strawberry jam!
How to Make Donuts
Try this donut recipe! You can make homemade donuts using basic ingredients to satisfy your sweet tooth!
To start, here are the three basic ingredients you need to make a stellar strawberry jam.
For the filling
Making your own strawberry jam couldn’t be simpler! With just three ingredients, you can cook up the best strawberry jam. Without further ado, let’s get started.
These red and juice fruits contain powerful antioxidants to improve heart health, regulate blood sugar levels, and prevent cancer. Once they have been transformed into a jam, they’ll turn into a rich, sweet, and smooth texture.
I love using strawberries for Strawberry Ice Cream Bars, Strawberry Banana Milkshake, and Banana Strawberry Milkshake Popsicles.
Sugar is extremely helpful in caramelizing the ingredients and enhancing the flavors of the jam. It tones down any sourness of the strawberries and thickens the jam’s consistency.
Lemon juice will be used to neutralize the flavors and nutrients of the jam. It allows the mixture to set and extend the finished product’s shelf life.
For the donuts
Even the actual donuts don’t require complex ingredients! Take a look below.
It provides a gluten network that allows the dough to become flexible. Plain flour also allows a soft and fluffy texture inside and outside the donut.
This is suitable for fried pastries like Chin Chin, Nigerian Egg Rolls, and Sausage Rolls!
Skimmed milk powder
Skimmed milk is low-fat powdered milk that contains protein. This ingredient adds sweetness and texture to the dessert. Even without biting into the strawberry jam yet, it already gives you a tasty flavor.
To create a beautiful browning effect, use sugar. It’s also used to garnish the donuts once fried. Sugar is the glaze that you’ll be looking forward to.
This will be the recipe’s leavening agent. Dry yeast functions to create an airy and velvety appearance and texture in the donut. You can also use it for Puff Puff, Air Fryer Bread, and Pizza Margherita.
Butter is important in softening up the gluten network to allow for a smooth and shiny dough. It can also elevate the flavors of the donut itself.
Eggs in the dough can help the dough rise into a smooth and creamy texture. This ingredient will give you light and soft crumbs once you cut into the donut.
To emphasize the flavors of the donut, add salt and nutmeg. These condiments can balance the diverse palette of the donuts.
Frying donuts can take time so use sunflower oil or other oils with high smoke points to fry them.
Even the ingredients sound easy enough, right? Well, it’s about to be fun because we’re going to be the ultimate indulgent dessert, No-Bake Strawberry Jam Donuts!
For the strawberry jam
- In a wok, combine chopped strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Mix them together with a spatula until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let the mixture stand for an hour.
- Once you notice juices coming out, turn on the heat of the stove.
- Cook the jam on medium-low fire for about 30 minutes or until it thickens.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Use a masher to achieve a smooth and thick consistency.
- Pour this into a glass jar or container and set it aside.
For the donuts
- Mix plain flour, dried skimmed milk, sugar, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- Add yeast and stir with a spatula.
- Incorporate the egg and water and mash them together using your hands until they form a dough.
- Once you achieve the dough, add butter and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- On a clean surface or silicone mat, slightly flatten the dough.
- Cut it into 12 pieces using a dough cutter.
- Roll each dough piece into small tight buns.
- Place them on a lined tray, and lightly coat them in flour.
- Use a dough scraper or rolling pin to flatten the dough buns.
- Place them back on the lined tray and cover them with cling film and a kitchen towel.
- Leave for an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- In a pan, pour sunflower oil and allow it to heat.
- Cook the donuts in a pan in batches. Flip and fry until golden on both sides.
- Once cooked on both sides, place them on a plate lined with a kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, put sugar, and toss the donuts to coat them. Place them back on the lined tray.
- Fill a piping bag with strawberry jam.
- Make a hole in the donuts using a skewer, knife, or finger.
- Cut off the tip of the piping bag and pipe the jam into the doughnut.
Wasn’t that the easiest donut recipe you have tried? Just imagine biting into the perfectly cooked and seasoned donut and the rich strawberry jam bursting with tremendous flavor and texture!
How to purchase and store strawberries
Selection. According to Ohio State University Extension, strawberries must be in bright red color with a firm yet plump flesh.
The caps should also be fresh and in green color. Small to medium-sized strawberries are usually sweeter and juicier than larger ones.
Storage. Strawberries will keep well for up to two days at room temperature. Refrigerating them unwashed can further keep them fresh for up to a week. Strawberries should only be washed or rinsed when you’re about to use them. They can also be frozen in freezer bags to last up to weeks.
How to store strawberry jam
In an article in The Recipe Critic, strawberry jam is best refrigerated or frozen. Store the jam in an airtight container for up to a month in the fridge or for several weeks in the freezer.
How to store dough ingredients
Basic dough elements such as plain flour, yeast, and skimmed milk powder can be stored in their original packaging. You can also transfer them into airtight containers.
Indicate labels on the packages to check for freshness. Place them in cool and dry areas of your kitchen.
How to preserve yeasted dough
At room temperature, the shelf life of yeasted dough depends on the amount of yeast you used and the temperature of the room.
The more yeast you use, the faster it will rise. But, the colder the temperature, the slower it will leaven.
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can customize the filling! Aside from strawberry jam, you can use chocolate, vanilla, and other fruit jams. You can make the donut alone and pair it with ice cream or dips.
Note that this recipe contains loads of sugar, especially homemade jam, so feel free to use alternatives. For sugar substitutes, opt for honey, maple syrup, or stevia.
Likewise, you may opt for other gluten-free and dairy-free products to adjust the recipe according to your diet and preferences. Remember that experimenting with the ingredients will cause changes in the outcome.
- Measuring cups and spoons: For best results, follow along with the amounts of ingredients needed.
- Cutting board: Prepare the strawberries on a chopping board.
- Kitchen scale: For more precise measuring, use a kitchen scale.
- Piping bag: Fill the donuts with the jam using a piping bag.
- Dough cutter & scraper: Utilize this to flatten and cut the dough into pieces.
- Spatula: Combine the ingredients using a spatula
- Wok: Make the strawberry jam in a wok.
- Pan: Fry the donut buns in a pan.
- Glass jar: Store the strawberry jam in airtight glass jars.
- Glass bowl: Prepare the ingredients in bowls.
- Palette knife: Make a hole in the donut for the filling.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Donuts
Donuts are best served as snacks or desserts, or breakfast. You can pair it with other fruits to balance the sweetness. Alternatively, you can use it as a glaze instead of piping in the strawberry jam.
It is not recommended for breakfast on its own because it cannot supply you with the complete nutrients you will need for the day. Start your day with a full meal and have a donut for dessert instead.
Here are also dishes you can serve to pair with these recipes:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Frozen Yogurt
- Chocolate Almond Milk
- Pineapple Pomegranate Juice
- Fruit Smoothie
- Fruit Popsicles
- Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake
- At room temperature: Donuts without the filling can last up to 2 days at room temperature. On the other hand, piped donuts should be consumed within a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are strawberry jam donuts healthy?
If consumed in moderation, these desserts can be healthy. You must remember that this recipe contains lots of sugar that can harm your health. Don’t worry, you can always make this healthy by using substitutes.
Do donuts get fried or baked?
Donuts are usually fried but they can also be baked or air fried!
Grease the air-fryer basket with oil or butter and cook the dough at 220°C for about 4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip it over to the other side for even browning. Cook them in batches.
To bake, line the baking tray and distribute the dough. Preheat the oven and bake the donut at 180°C for 13 minutes. Once golden brown, rotate it to bake the other side as well.
Which is correct between “donut” and “doughnut”?
Donut and doughnut are interchangeable terms for the same dessert.
Fluffy Donuts With Strawberry Jam
For the strawberry jam
- 600 g fresh strawberries
- 400 g sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or ½ fresh lemon)
For the Donuts
- 250 g plain flour
- 30 g skimmed milk powder (or 3 tbsp)
- 30 g sugar (2 tbsp)
- A pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 2 g sea salt (or a pinch)
- 3 ½ g yeast (or 1 tsp)
- 35 g butter
- 1 egg
- 85 ml water ( ⅓ cup)
- Sunflower oil (for deep frying)
For the strawberry jam
- Make the strawberry jam. In a wok, combine chopped strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix them together until the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture stand for an hour. Once you notice juices coming out, turn on the heat of the stove.
- Cook the jam on medium-low fire for about 30 minutes or until it thickens. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Mash the chunks for a smooth and thick consistency. Pour this into a container and set it aside.
For the donuts.
- Form the dough.In a separate bowl, mix plain flour, dried skimmed milk, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Add yeast and stir. Add an egg and water and mash them together using your hands until they form a dough. Once you achieve the dough, add butter and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Mold the donut bunts. On a clean surface, slightly flatten the dough. Cut it into 12 pieces. Roll each dough piece into small tight buns. Place them on a lined tray. Then, lightly coat them in flour. Use a dough scraper or cutter to flatten the dough buns. Place them back on the lined tray and cover them with cling film and a tea towel. Leave for an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Cook the donuts. In a pan, pour sunflower oil and allow it to heat Lift the doughnuts from the baking tray and cook them in the pan in batches. Flip and fry until golden on both sides. Once cooked on both sides, place them on a kitchen towel. In a bowl, put sugar, and toss in the donuts to coat them with it. Place them back on the lined tray.
- Fill in the donuts with the strawberry jam. Fill a piping bag with strawberry jam. Make a hole in the donuts using a skewer, knife, or finger. Cut off the tip of the piping bag and pipe the jam into the doughnut.
- Always purchase quality strawberries to make the best jam.
- Be cautious when working with the dough to achieve an airy texture.
- Babies cannot have donuts but they can have strawberry puree instead.
- You can use baking soda, baking powder, or a sourdough starter as an alternative to yeast powder. However, the dough may react differently, so it is still best to use yeast powder.
- As an alternative to a piping bag, use a zip lock or plastic bag.
- The spoiled strawberry jam will have mold and yeast growth. You will also smell an unpleasant odor that’s similar to alcohol. Throw it out immediately.