If you’re looking for new breakfast and snack recipes, here’s one that you can definitely try: satisfying and appetizing Sausage Rolls! This family-friendly dish is perfect for picnics, celebrations, and weekend getaways!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
It has a hot dog’s tastiness and the pastry’s texture that will absolutely quench your appetite – Sausage Roll!
How to Make Sausage Rolls
If you want to know how easy it is to make your sausage rolls, follow this recipe to find out!
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Frankfurters or hot dogs may be smoked or cooked sausages produced in consideration of federal food standards.
Many Frankfurters contain spices, binders, and additives to achieve the common hot dog’s appearance and taste. I love hotdogs for Breakfast Wraps, Bread Pizza, and Egg Mayo Sandwich!
Plain flour is needed to make the crusty and fluffy pastry of the sausage rolls. It forms the structure of the dough to make it flexible to wrap it around the hotdog.
The leavening agent is baking powder because it reacts well with the evaporated milk and the eggs. It also makes the pastry light and airy.
Butter adds a buttery and decadent quality to the sausage rolls. It enhances the quality and flavor of the coating.
Evaporated milk is needed to activate the ingredients, especially the leavening agent. It also contributes a creamy flavor to the dough.
As an additional leavening agent, use eggs in the batter. Eggs can also enrich the consistency of the cooked pastry.
For the pastry seasoning, use sea salt and nutmeg to balance the flavors of the hot dogs and the pastry. You may also add in sugar if a bit of sweetness is preferred. Do not forget to season the pastry for the best-tasting sausage rolls.
Combine these ingredients to make a meaty, delicious, and satisfying snack!
- Combine the plain flour, sea salt, nutmeg, and sugar in a bowl.
- Then, form a well in the middle to put in the butter.
- Massage them together using clean hands.
- Next, pour in the eggs and evaporated milk and mix them.
- Continue massaging the mixture until it forms a dough-like structure.
- Once done, place it in a bowl and cover it with cling film to refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Brush a clean and flat surface with some butter or lightly coat it with flour to prepare it for the pastry.
- Roll out the pastry using a rolling pin and flatten it as evenly as possible.
- Then, place the hotdog on one end of the pastry and trim the excess pastry around the hot dog with a dough scraper.
- Next, roll the hot dog in a single layer of pastry and seal it in by pinching at the pastry.
- Arrange the sausage rolls in a lined baking tray.
- Before popping them in the oven, brush them with some egg wash for flavor and a golden-brown finish.
- Then, bake it for 25 minutes to 30 minutes at 170° C in the oven. Let it cool and serve!
These homemade Sausage Rolls are undoubtedly fun to make and satisfying to eat! Trust me, you won’t want to miss out on something this delicious!
Tips to Make Sausage Rolls
How to Buy Healthier Hot Dogs
- If you’re not comfortable with the ordinary hot dogs in grocery stores, you can try healthier and safer alternatives.
- Sometimes, hot dogs will be labeled with “no byproducts, ” meaning that animal parts uncommon in the American diet are not present in the hot dog.
- There are also hot dog variants without artificial extenders or synthetic preservatives, usually called natural hot dogs.
- In conclusion, not all hot dogs are unhealthy; all it takes is to find the right one that fits your diet!
How to Store Hot Dogs
- According to the USDA’s Hot Dogs and Food Safety, unopened hot dog packages can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- If the hot dog packages have been opened, then seal them in a resealable bag and consume them within three days.
- Alternatively, freeze the hot dogs by wrapping them in freezer wrap or putting them in a freezer bag to last up to 2 months.
- To defrost, you can pop them in the microwave, rotating them every 30 seconds until fully defrosted.
- You can also put them in a resealable bag and submerge the plastic bag in a bowl of warm water to thaw for at least 30 minutes.
- Freeze hot dogs overnight or for 24 hours.
Storing Unused Pastry
- If you need the pastry for later use, you can preserve it by wrapping it in two layers of cling film and placing it in the fridge to last up to 2 days.
- Store the unused pastry in a resealable bag, but remove as much air as possible to vacuum seal the pastry inside.
- Freeze the pastry by placing it on a baking sheet for several hours. Then, once frozen solid, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag to free.
- Before use, simply let it thaw on a wire rack at room temperature.
Sausage Roll Variations
This Homemade Sausage Rolls recipe is not entirely vegan, gluten-free, or dairy-free. Still, you can make it healthier by substituting ingredients with other more suitable alternatives for your dietary needs.
For instance, you can purchase vegan and gluten-free hot dogs in supermarkets to replace ordinary Frankfurters. You can also replace evaporated milk with almond milk.
- Oven: Bake the sausage rolls in the oven to cook them thoroughly.
- Baking tray: Prepare the sausage rolls in a baking tray.
- Rolling pin: Flatten the dough using a rolling pin.
- Dough scraper: Remove excess pastry by using a dough scraper.
- Bowl: Place the uncooked pastry in a bowl to let it rest.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Sausage Rolls
You can also serve sausage rolls for breakfast and snacks. You can also make it for picnics, buffets, and tea parties to add variety to the table. For the side dishes, you can opt for:
Meanwhile, check out these excellent drink options:
- At room temperature: Store the cooked sausage rolls on the day you make them. Wrap them in cling film or foil and place them in an airtight container to eat within the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a sausage roll called in America?
In America, a sausage roll is also called a “puff dog” because of the puff pastry on the outside and the meaty hotdog inside!
Do you eat sausage rolls hot or cold?
It depends on your preference, but sausage rolls are best served at room temperature for the right texture and flavor.
How do you make sausage rolls not soggy?
The secret to making puffy sausage rolls is placing the hotdogs and dough in a cold baking tray before baking in the oven.
- 16 Frankfurt hotdogs
- 6¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 1¾ cups butter
- 1½ tbsp evaporated milk
- 3 eggs medium-sized
- Make the pastry. To form the pastry, combine the plain flour, sea salt, nutmeg, and sugar in a bowl. Then, dig a hole in the middle to put in the butter. Massage them together using clean hands. Next, pour in the eggs and evaporated milk and mix them together. Continue massaging the mixture until it forms a dough-like structure. Once done, place it in a bowl and cover it with cling film to refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Wrap the hot dogs in the pastry. Before anything else, wipe your kitchen counter or flat surface clean. Brush it with some butter or lightly coat it with flour to prepare it for the pastry.Roll out the pastry using a rolling pin and flatten it as evenly as you can. Then, place the hotdog on one end of the pastry and trim off the excess pastry around the hot dog. Next, roll the hot dog in a single layer of pastry and seal it in my pinching at the pastry. Repeat the same process with the other hot dogs.
- Bake the sausage rolls. Arrange the sausage rolls in a lined baking tray. Before popping them in the oven, brush them over with some egg wash for added flavor and a golden-brown finish. Then, bake it for 25 minutes to 30 minutes at 170° C in the oven. Let it cool and serve!
- Remember to store the Frankfurters properly, especially when the packaging has been opened.
- Moreover, store it in the fridge or freezer for later use of the pastry.
- You can cook them in the air fryer for up to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t crowd the rolls in the air fryer; cook them in batches to cook through. Allow enough room for the pastry to expand.