Make your Thanksgiving or celebratory meals special by cooking this Chicken Pie! It’s flaky and crusty on the inside yet savory and tasty on the inside. No crumb or filling will go to waste!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
It is baked to perfection, and the chicken and vegetables are flavorfully seasoned with the right herbs and spices for great taste. This will surely delight your taste buds!
How to Make Chicken Pie
This delectable Nigerian-style Chicken Pie will surely take your plate to great heights of African cuisine!
Let us begin with the ingredients for the filling.
For the healthy filling
Chicken is almost an all-time favorite when it comes to any delicacy. Aside from its rich flavor, it’s also helpful for weight loss, bone strength, and heart health. It also gives you a healthy dose of protein and nutrition for a balanced diet.
If you have leftover chicken, you can cook it into Chicken Wings, Roast Chicken, or Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry! It can be baked, grilled, air fried, or roasted.
You’ll need carrots to add a slightly sweet flavor to the dish. They are great ingredients to improve your vision, blood sugar levels, and immunity.
Improve your dining experience by dining with Carrot Juice!
Potatoes can add a fantastic texture to the filling. In other words, it’s starchy and sweet but not loaded with harmful sugars. These vegetables are rich in fiber for improved digestion.
Don’t throw away your excess potatoes and convert them into luscious Mashed Potatoes instead!
Do not forget to add the onion because it gives the chicken a spicy and exquisite flavor. It always gives an extra kick to dishes; this chicken pie is no exception.
Garlic is a simple yet powerful component of this recipe because it enhances the flavor of all the other ingredients. It also has antibiotic and medicinal properties!
This ingredient emphasizes the delicious aftertaste of the chicken. In addition, it provides moisture for when it’s time to bake the pie.
To make a thickener, add flour and water together – this will bind all the ingredients together, keeping them intact as they bake in the oven.
Herbs and spices
Seasoning is essential for meat meals. So, let’s use mixed herbs, curry powder, oregano, turmeric, stock cubes, and sea salt for a satisfying filling!
To sautee, use coconut oil or any other cooking oil available to you.
You’ll have some fun making the dough with the following ingredients.
For the buttery pastry
The gluten network of the plain flour is responsible for a buildable, firm, and smooth dough. Use good-quality flour to get the perfect dough.
It’s an effective ingredient to make the dough flexible. I also used this for the Thanksgiving Turkey Pie recipe’s crust!
Baking powder helps give that extra puff to baked pastry. It also allows space inside the dough for the filling. This is a leavening agent for an airy pie.
You may be surprised that the egg will not be mixed into the dough. It’s going to be used to seal the filling into the dough and to glaze the pie before baking.
Butter is needed to make flaky and creamy dough. In addition, it also helps retain the proper structure of the pie from preparation until it is baked.
Add some sea salt and nutmeg to add extra flavor to the dough. These condiments prevent your pastry from tasting bland and stale.
Once you have prepared the ingredient, it’s time to make the Chicken Pie! If you’re feeling hungry, stressed, or weary, it is the perfect time to make this.
Did you know that according to GoodNet, cooking and baking are therapeutic and meditative?
For the filling
- Rinse and finely chop the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes with a knife.
- Season the soft chicken with the onions, garlic, mixed herbs, oregano, curry powder, paprika, turmeric, sea salt, and knorr cubes in a bowl.
- Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to a pot and leave to cook over medium heat until tender.
- After 15 minutes, take the chicken out and set the liquid stock aside; it will be needed later.
- Chop the chicken into small chunks and set aside.
- Sautee the onion, garlic, and chicken chunks in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced carrots and potatoes.
- Season it with curry powder, a knorr cube, and one cooking spoon of the chicken liquid stock.
- Cover and leave to cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, add water and flour and mix until smooth.
- Pour the thickener into the pan and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
For the pastry
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and butter until the consistency becomes crumbly.
- Gradually add water and stir.
- Transfer some of the dough to a flat surface and knead with your hands or a mixer.
- Use a rolling pin to spread the dough. It should not be too thick or too thin.
- Use a whisk to beat an egg to seal the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut out the dough in your preferred size and shape. Remove the excess dough.
- Place the filling on the dough and brush the edges with a pastry brush with the egg wash.
- Fold it over to close and press the openings using the back of a fork.
- Arrange the chicken pies on the greased baking tray and brush the whisked egg over the pastries.
- Poke the pies with a fork.
- Leave the pies to bake for 30-35 minutes or until they turn slightly brown.
- Let them cool and serve!
Wasn’t that as easy as pie? You’re not just leveling up your cooking; you’re also enhancing your pastry skills and enjoying and relaxing simultaneously! Bite into that perfectly baked chicken pie and tell me how delicious it is!
How to Select, Store, and Prepare Chicken
Choose chicken with pinkish flesh and unbruised skin. Feel the texture and ensure that it is plump to the touch. For packaged chicken, avoid ones with too much liquid inside. It should also be odorless.
For chicken pies, it’s best to go for drumstick and thigh parts.
Immediately put the chicken in the fridge or freezer. It can last up to 2 days when refrigerated and up to several weeks when frozen. If you plan on putting it in the fridge, place it on the bottom shelf.
Store it properly to prevent contamination and spoilage.
According to Chicken Farmers of Canada, ensure sure you prepare the chicken in a clean and sanitized area. Wash your hands and the materials you will be using.
Moreover, Food Network recommends cooking the chicken unwashed because washing it can attract more bacteria.
How to Purchase and Preserve the Vegetables
Selection. Search for carrots that have deep orange skin. The larger the carrot, the sweeter it will be. Watch out for ones with cracks or molds. The leaves should also be in a healthy green color.
Storage. Carrots can last up to 4 days at room temperature. Cut out the leaves to prolong shelf life. Store them in a resealable bag and refrigerate them to last up to 4 weeks or freeze them for up to 8 months.
Selection. The potatoes should have smooth skin and be firm to the touch. Don’t purchase ones with unhealthy-looking skin and green discoloration.
Storage. Potatoes at room temperature can last up to 2 weeks, as long as they are in a cool and dry area. They are not recommended for refrigeration because this can cause too much sweetness and discoloration.
How to Work on the Dough for Chicken Pie
- Use measured ingredients to make the best dough.
- You can use your hands if you don’t have a mixer with a kneading attachment.
- Check the dough for doneness before rolling it out.
- To check the dough for doneness, use your finger to apply pressure, and it is ready for use if it bounces back immediately.
- To store, place the dough in an airtight container with space for expansion.
- For next-day use, freeze the dough. The dough can also be covered with cling film or stored in a resealable bag.
To make a Vegan version of this pie, you can use fruits or other plant-based ingredients as the filling. Moreover, egg wash can be substituted with water to seal the pastry. You can also use turkey or meat.
You may also use gluten-free flour and butter for a healthier dough recipe. Feel free to omit or add ingredients as you prefer.
Recommended Tools for Making Chicken Pie
- Stand mixer: Use a stand mixer for hand-free mixing and kneading of the dough.
- Rolling pin: Roll the dough out using a rolling pin
- Whisk: Use the whisk to beat the egg wash.
- Pastry mat: Place the dough on a clean pastry mat
- Pastry brush: Spread the egg wash on the pastry using a brush.
- Pan: Cooking the filling on a pan.
- Bowl: Place the ingredients in a bowl.
- Spatula: Mix the elements of the dish with a spatula.
- Knife: Slice the vegetables, dough, and chicken with a clean knife.
- Pizza cutter: Slice and shape the dough using a pizza cutter.
- Fork: Seal and decorate the edges of the dough with a fork.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Chicken Pie
Chicken pie can be served anytime, especially if you want to satisfy your appetite with a satiating meal. It’s easy to pack and even simpler to eat. You get a dose of protein, fiber, and essential nutrients in one bite.
You can serve it with any sauce or dip to your liking. It pairs well with juices like:
The best thing about it is you can make pie according to the number of guests, and each guest will have a pie of their own.
If you have vegan or non-vegan visitors, you can make ones with meat fillings and ones with fruit or vegetable fillings. Distribute them after they have cooled to retain the crunchy texture of the pastry.
Storage Tips for Chicken Pie
- At room temperature: Chicken pie should be baked or consumed within 2 hours to prevent contamination.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Chicken Pie healthy?
Oh yes! Chicken pie is a balanced diet because it gives you the nutrients of chicken, vegetables, and herbs. Therefore, the dish can supply you with energy for a productive day while taking care of your heart, bones, eyes, and skin. Having said that, this pie should be eaten in moderation.
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.1 Corinthians 10:31
It is also satiating that it can make you feel full for a more extended period. This recipe can also aid in weight loss if you consume the pie in moderation.
Is chicken a common allergen?
Chicken is not a common allergen, but you must be careful about allergic reactions. Watch out for the symptoms such as difficulty breathing, skin irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and anaphylaxis.
How can you cook chicken pie without an oven?
Suppose you don’t have access to an oven, air-fry the chicken pies in batches instead. Preheat the air-fryer and cook the pies for up to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Can you bake frozen chicken pies?
How much chicken pie should you eat every day?
Limit chicken pie intake to one piece a day because while it is delicious and healthy, it still contains calories that can cause weight gain if consumption is not regulated.
For the chicken
- 500 g chicken (4 deboned & diced thighs & drumsticks)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp curry powder
- A pinch oregano
- A pinch paprika
- A pinch turmeric
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 stock cube
For the filling
- 4 cooked chicken (2 thighs and 2 drumsticks) as shown above
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 potato (diced)
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 stock cube (Knorr chicken)
- 2 tbsp chicken broth (or chicken liquid stock)
- 1 tbsp plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 187.5 ml water
For the pastry
- 500 g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- A pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 100 g butter
- 200 ml chilled water
- 1 egg for glazing
For the chicken
- Prepare the ingredients for the filling.Rinse and finely chop the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes. Set the carrots and potatoes aside. Then, combine the soft chicken with the onions and garlic in a bowl. Season it with mixed herbs, oregano, curry powder, paprika, turmeric, sea salt, and knorr cubes. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. The longer you leave it marinated, the tastier it will be.
- Cook the chicken. Transfer the marinated chicken into a pot and leave to cook over medium heat until tender. After 15 minutes, take the chicken out and set the liquid stock aside; it will be needed later. Cut the chicken into small chunks.
For the filling
- Make the filling.Place a pan or pot on medium heat. Add coconut oil or any oil of your choice. Sautee the onion, garlic, and chicken chunks. Add the diced carrots and potatoes. Add more or fewer carrots and potatoes as preferred.
- Season it with curry powder, Knorr cube, and one cooking spoon of the chicken liquid stock. Cover and leave to cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, add water and 1 tbsp of flour. Mix until smooth. It is the thickener. Check the flavor of the chicken, and once satisfied, add the thickener. Cover and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
For the pastry
- Make the dough.In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and butter until the consistency becomes crumbly. Gradually add water and stir. The dough should not be too soft or too hard. Knead until the dough is firm and non-sticky. Set it aside.
- Transfer some of the dough to a flat surface and knead. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough. It should not be too thick or too thin. About a quarter of an inch should be fine. To assemble the pie itself, whisk an egg in a bowl to serve as a sealer for the dough. Also, grease the oven tray with butter or oil to prevent the pie from sticking. Preheat the oven to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Fill the dough with the chicken mixture.Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut out the dough in your preferred size and shape. Remove the excess dough, and it is now time to assemble! Place the filling on the dough and brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash to seal. Fold it over to close and press the openings using the back of a fork.
For baking baking
- Time to bake. Arrange the chicken pies on the greased oven tray and brush the whisked egg over the pastry. Poke the pie with a fork.
- Leave the pies to bake for 30-35 minutes or until they turn slightly brown. Let them cool and serve!
- Do not overfill the dough to prevent bursting.
- You can air-fry the chicken pies instead of baking them.
- Replace ingredients with elements that are more suitable for your diet.
- The dough should not be too soft or too hard. Knead until the dough is firm and non-sticky.
- Grease the oven tray with butter or oil to prevent the pie from sticking.
- You can make use of store-bought pizza dough by cutting it into your desired sizes and shapes. Alternatively, use pita bread, puff pastry, or wraps instead.