Get ready to cook the best fish dish with this homemade fish seasoning! It’s a mix of the right herbs and spices for great flavor and aroma. I can guarantee you that this fish seasoning mix will certainly give you savory and flavorful fish.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
It’s the perfect seasoning to use for baking, grilling, or roasting. Moreover, it will certainly improve the overall quality of the fish. Indeed, this recipe is my secret to a stellar fish dish!
How to Make Fish Seasoning
You might be surprised at how simple it is to make fish seasoning. In fact, it’s almost effortless! It only takes five minutes to make the all-time best seasoning.
If you have these spices and herbs in stock, then you can make the fish seasoning in no time.
Mixed herbs are a combination of different spices mixed for a richer and stronger flavor. It also radiates a fragrant aroma to make any dish appetizing.
Additionally, you can use this for Roast Chicken Seasoning for an all-in-one blend!
Chives have a pungent and leek-like flavor that lingers in your mouth for a warm taste. It is also popularly used as garnish and toppings.
Moreover, it makes a great flavoring agent for eggs, soups, and other dishes. I especially suggest adding chives to Grilled Salmon for savory goodness!
Cumin is sweet and slightly bitter, usually paired with chili powder and garam masala. It also adds a warm and earthy quality that makes it suitable for soup and stews.
Garlic granules are made from dried garlic turned into powder for easy and convenient use. It differs from garlic powder because you need twice the amount of granules to give it the same effect.
Use this for clump-free cooking!
Onion granules come from dehydrated onions infused with their original aroma. It is best to use it when you want to enjoy a pungent flavor without the texture of fresh onion.
I suggest it for dry rubs, stir fry, and pasta. Onion granules also make good spices for Crispy Chicken Wings!
Smoked paprika is made from red peppers. It makes any dish savory and smoky. This seasoning is also great for Jollof Rice, Pizza Sauce, and Fish Stew!
Black pepper originates from cooked and dried peppercorns. It has a mildly spicy and earthy yet citrus flavor for almost any dish. You can also use it for dressings, eggs, stir fry, and dry rubs.
Mace is extracted from the dried outer shell of nutmeg seeds that tastes woody, warm, and citrusy. It gives a taste similar to cinnamon and pepper. You can also use this for baked goods, porridge, custards, and more.
Sea salt is less processed because it is produced from the evaporation of ocean water. You can use it for beef, vegetables, and even pastries.
These herbs and spices are tried and tested seasonings for fish and even meat dishes. Let me tell you, these spices have never failed me, and they will not fail you!
- Measure the ingredients with measuring spoons.
- Put them in a spice grinder.
- Blend the contents until smooth and powdery.
It is so easy to do that it almost prepares itself. This fish seasoning excites my family and me every time we cook fish!
To make mixed herbs, mix basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, sage, tarragon, and thyme. Place them in an airtight jar.
My homemade mixed herbs are always available in my kitchen because I use them almost daily!
You can easily prepare cumin powder at home. Buy cumin in the grocery store and repeatedly roll and crush them using a rolling pin, mortar and pestle, or other similar kitchen tools.
Garlic granules and onion granules
- The first step in making granules is to peel the garlic cloves.
- Then, distribute them on a baking tray.
- Dry them in the oven at 65°C for up to two hours or in the dehydrator at 46°C for up to seven hours.
- Once crumbly in texture, granulate dried garlic in the blender, food processor, grinder, mortar and pestle, or other similar tools.
- Rinse, deseed, and slice the sweet peppers.
- Smoke the sweet peppers in an electric or charcoal smoker for about three hours.
- Then, grind the contents.
Otherwise, bake them in the oven at 93°C for about three hours. You can also do it in the dehydrator at 52°C for at least five hours.
If you have whole peppercorns, then you can grind them in a food processor, blender, or with a mortar and pestle until you get a fine powder.
Bon Appetit suggests chives with green color and crispy texture when buying chives. You can buy them in bunches, so ensure they do not have wilted chives.
Wrap them in cling film, and refrigerate or freeze them to extend their shelf life.
- Roast the mace in a pan until crisp.
- Then, use a grinder to turn it into a powder.
- Filter the particles with a fine-mesh sieve.
- Break down the larger chunks with a spatula.
Fish Seasoning Variations
Seasoning recipes are highly customizable because you can add or reduce the ingredients according to your preferences. You can use other herbs and spices available to you.
For instance, fish seasoning can include mustard powder, allspice, cayenne, cardamom, ground ginger, dried dillweed, and more.
- Spice grinder or blender or food processor: Give the fish seasoning a finer texture by grinding them in a blender or food processor. Use a mortar and pestle or other similar tools.
- Measuring spoons: Add the appropriate amounts of seasoning using measuring spoons.
- Airtight jar: Store the contents in a container or glass jar.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Use Fish Seasoning
To use fish seasoning, lightly rub it on both sides of the fish and marinate for at least 30 minutes before baking, roasting, or grilling.
Do not use too much seasoning to prevent overpowering the fish’s natural flavor. I suggest this fish seasoning for tilapia, croaker, bream, salmon, tuna, shrimp, crab, halibut, scallops, and other seafood.
Craving delicious seafood? Try these succulent fish recipes:
- At room temperature: Store the fish seasoning in an airtight container for two years.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best seasoning to put on fish?
You can use classic spices such as sage, garlic, and parsley. Mixing them with other flavoring agents can improve the dish’s taste, aroma, and overall quality. You can mix herbs and spices to discover which ones best suit your preference.
What can you add to fish for flavor?
Fish can be seasoned with herbs and spices of your choice. Prepare a mixture of your favorite seasoning to try on the fish. Make it as salty, spicy, and savory as you want!
What to season fish with when frying?
Fish seasoning is highly flexible because you can use the simplest of salt and black pepper or add other herbs and spices to improve the flavor.
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- A pinch cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp mace (optional)
- Since the ingredients are already in small particles, combine everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, powdery, and fully combined.
- Store seasoning in a glass jar and place it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- You can make some of the seasonings from scratch, such as mixed herbs, smoked paprika, onion granules, and garlic granules.
- Let the fish marinate in this rub for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a mortar and pestle instead of a spice grinder, blender, or food processor.