Did you know that you can make Fried Rice from leftover rice? With this recipe, you will never have to throw away leftover rice because you’ll want to use them for side dishes! This Fried Rice recipe is loaded with the toppings you can think of.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
It’s perfect for any occasion, whether you serve it for lunch or dinner! Fried Rice can also be served with your favorite main dishes for the best dining experience.
How to Make Leftover Fried Rice
It has chicken, vegetables, the right seasoning, and fluffy rice. You won’t be able to get enough of it!
The best leftover rice to use for this recipe is day-old rice. You can also use refrigerated or frozen rice. If you want to achieve a fluffy and loose texture, then I suggest cooking basmati rice because of the grains and easy cooking.
You can also use leftover rice for Coconut Rice to give the dish a summer vibe!
Eggs are perfect for adding a creamy and buttery texture to the dish. These can also make fried rice healthier. If you love eggs with rice, then I suggest cooking Fried Eggs or Scotch Eggs too!
You can add these chicken hotdogs to add protein and smokiness to the recipe. I also use these for Breakfast Sandwich, Noodles and Egg Stir Fry, and Crispy Hot Dogs!
Spring onions are best for adding aroma and color to the dish. Even the texture instantly improves as you toss in this ingredient.
Mixed bell peppers
Aside from adding health benefits, the mixed bell peppers can give fragrance and sweetness to balance the leftover fried rice. Bell peppers can also be key ingredients for rice, just like in yummy Jollof Rice!
Garlic is a classic aromatic for fried rice because of its smell and rich flavor. I also use it for Chicken Fried Bulgur to get similar results!
This is an optional spice you can add if you want to add a touch of spice to the dish. Don’t forget to store scotch bonnets properly to make the most out of these spices!
Use coconut oil to stir-fry the ingredients to improve flavors and preserve nutritional value. You can also use this to cook Coconut Buns and Couscous!
I suggest using mixed herbs, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, chicken stock cubes, and sea salt for the seasoning. Otherwise, I suggest soy sauce for its color and taste.
Using these ingredients, you will cook a foolproof leftover fried rice dish in just minutes. Most importantly, the key to making excellent fried rice is using fresh, healthy, and flavorful food for the complete experience.
- Dice the chicken hotdogs, garlic, scotch bonnet, spring onion, and mixed bell peppers using a knife.
- Break the leftover rice apart with your hands or a spatula.
- Saute the garlic, scotch bonnet, and spring onion in coconut oil in a frying pan with a turner over a low fire for a minute.
- Then, add the diced chicken hot dog.
- Season them with mixed herbs, curry powder, salt, and all-purpose seasoning.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped mixed bell peppers and season with the chicken stock cube.
- Once well mixed, toss the leftover rice and spring onions and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Put the ingredients to the side and add coconut oil to the left space.
- Fry the eggs, and move the egg around to scramble once half-cooked.
- Then, slowly add the rice.
- Once content with the seasoning and doneness, serve the leftover fried rice!
Have you ever seen and tasted such flavorful, delicious, and satisfying Fried Rice? It’s almost a meal on its own!
- According to The Spruce Eats, unopened hotdog packages can be stored in the fridge for up to several days.
- Once opened, transfer the hotdogs to resealable bags and use them within three days.
- The best way to preserve hot dogs is to place them in the freezer for up to several weeks.
Fried Rice Ingredients
Selection. In an article in Epicurious, buy spring onions with a small bulb attached. They should also feel stiff and must be without signs of wilting.
Storage. Spring onions can only be left at room temperature for up to two days for longer shelf life. Otherwise, place them in resealable bags and refrigerate them to use within a week.
Bell peppers and scotch bonnet
Selection. Go for bell peppers and scotch bonnet with shiny, smooth, and clear skin. They should also feel heavy for their weight.
Storage. Store the bell peppers in mesh bags and refrigerate them to use within two weeks.
How to Cook and Preserve Rice
One of the most important steps in cooking rice is to rinse the rice to remove excess starch.
- Rinse it thrice or until the water is clear.
- Then, put the rice in a pot and season it if preferred.
- Pour in water proportionate to the rice and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat.
- Let it cook for at least 15 minutes or until the rice is fluffy.
According to Delicious Magazine, you can store the rice by spreading it over a baking sheet to let it cool.
Once cooled at room temperature, place it in an airtight container to refrigerate or freeze.
Refrigerated rice can last up to 4 days, while frozen cooked rice can be used within several weeks or even months.
Fried Rice Variations
Aside from the ingredients mentioned in this recipe, you can also use alternatives for each ingredient.
- For instance, chicken hot dogs can be replaced with smoked turkey, chunks of chicken, meat, beef, pork, fish, mackerel, tuna, and other protein-rich food.
- On the other hand, for vegetables, you may try using carrots, green beans, sweet corn, green chili, onion, garden peas, asparagus, and more.
- Meanwhile, for the seasoning, you can use soy sauce, black pepper, oyster sauce, sesame oil, butter, white pepper, bay leaves, cumin, mace, coriander leaf, cardamom, fenugreek, etc.
- Frying pan: Cook the fried rice in a frying pan.
- Knife: Slightly ingredients with the help of a knife.
- Cutting board: Prepare the fresh vegetables on a cutting board.
- Wooden spatula: Break the fried eggs apart using a spatula.
- Turner: Stir fry the rice and ingredients with a turner.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
How to Serve Fried Rice
Fried rice can be served with any of your favorite dishes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I suggest serving it with the following:
If you want to eat this for lunch or dinner, then I suggest serving it with any of the following:
For drinks, it is best to serve them with fresh juices such as:
Limit your fried rice consumption to one cup per day.
- At room temperature: Fried rice is best eaten within 2 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make simple fried rice?
First, make sure that you have leftover rice. Choose your meat and vegetables and saute them in oil before adding the rice.
What is the secret to good fried rice?
According to The Christian Science Monitor, good fried rice is cooked using leftover rice from medium to long-grain varieties.
It is best for frying in a heated wok with adequate oil to prevent the rice from becoming soggy. Moreover, it is important to season it with the right herbs and spices.
Do you put eggs in fried rice?
Putting eggs in fried rice is not required, but it is highly suggested because it adds flavor, color, and texture!
Easy Leftover Fried Rice
For the Stir fry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ scotch bonnet – chopped/ minced (optional)
- 1 spring onion – sliced
- 3 chicken hotdogs (roughly chopped)
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp curry powder
- A pinch salt
- ½ tsp all-purpose seasoning
- ½ red bell peppers
- ½ green bell peppers
- ½ yellow bell peppers
- 1 stock cube
- 2 cups leftover cooked rice (or 12 -14 spoons) cooked rice
For fried eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs (medium-sized)
- Prepare the ingredients.Dice the chicken hotdogs, garlic, scotch bonnet, spring onion, and mixed bell peppers. You can break the cooked rice apart with your hands or a spatula for easier cooking later.
- Fry the rice. Allow coconut oil to heat over a low fire. Saute the garlic, scotch bonnet, and spring onion for a minute. Then, add the diced chicken hot dog and season with mixed herbs, curry powder, salt, and all-purpose seasoning. Stir fry for 2 minutes.Incorporate the chopped mixed bell peppers and season with the chicken stock cube. Once well combined, toss the leftover rice and spring onions and stir fry for 3 minutes. Push the ingredients aside and add coconut oil to the left space. Fry the eggs, and move the egg around to scramble once half-cooked. Then, slowly incorporate it into the rice. Once content with the seasoning and doneness, serve the leftover fried rice!
- You can also season everything with soy sauce instead of the herbs and spices mentioned in the recipe.
- Use alternatives for the rice, hotdogs, vegetables, and seasoning for a fried rice version of your own.
- It is best to use cooked rice for frying because of the loose texture and quality. Cooked rice is also easier to combine with fried rice ingredients.
- Fried rice can be cooked with either butter or oil. Butter gives a creamy and mildly sweet flavor, whereas the oil gives it a touch of smokiness.
- The important thing is to use an adequate amount to prevent the fried rice from becoming soggy.