Relish the excellent quality of bean pudding with this easy Moi Moi in a Microwave recipe!
Feel the warmth and comfort you can get from Moi Moi with a simple recipe you can cook at home. It’s a traditional African dish of beans, vegetables, and yummy toppings.
Everyone will surely love how creamy, decadent, sweet, savory, and smoky it is. With the toppings, it will look and taste even better than you have ever seen.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
In this recipe, you will learn to cook the best Moi Moi in less than ten minutes and in your microwave. Every bite is just bursting with awesome flavors and textures to keep you full and satisfied!
How to Make Moi Moi in a Microwave
Now is the time to put your microwave to good use. Out of all the microwave recipes I tried, the Moi Moi is a family favorite. You can cook this dish even on a busy day!
Are you ready to cook Moi Moi in a Microwave? Let’s go!
What goes into an incredible Moi Moi?
Oloyin or honey beans
I’ve tried cooking Moi Moi with different kinds of beans, but oloyin or honey beans always gave the best results. They have a naturally sweet and rich flavor that will taste best as pudding.
Once soaked, blended, and cooked, the honey beans will have a smooth, thick, and creamy consistency. You won’t believe how tastier they will be once you season and garnish them,
If you love beans as I do, then you will also love more Yummielicious bean recipes like High-Protein Beans!
In this recipe, you will need two kinds of peppers: bell peppers and sweet peppers.
The bell peppers have a sweet and fruity flavor that simply makes any dish delicious. Cooking them will also unleash their fragrant aroma for a sumptuous meal.
Meanwhile, the sweet pepper has a saccharine taste that always tastes better with the bell peppers. When it comes to African recipes, sweet peppers, and bell peppers pair perfectly together!
Instantly give the Moi Moi a richer quality by adding sweet, pungent, and mildly spicy onion. It will neutralize the sweet beans and peppers for a well-balanced flavor.
Just like the peppers, the onion will also add an excellent aroma to the dish. Onions are definitely my go-to aromatics for almost any dish!
Add a kick of spice to the Moi Moi recipe with a hot and spicy scotch bonnet. Aside from its spicy flavor, the scotch bonnet also has a hint of fruity flavor to make it exciting.
It won’t be called a Moi Moi without mackerel. Perfectly seasoned mackerel will taste amazing in this dish. In fact, it’s one of the best toppings I can suggest for the recipe.
You will also find it easy to cook the mackerel because you just need to boil it in your preferred spices. When you cook it at home, you will also get useful fish stock for other recipes.
The eggs are optional ingredients, but I highly suggest using them as toppings for an added creamy texture and rich flavor. In this recipe, you will boil the eggs to match them with the pudding.
Of course, you are free to add other herbs and spices. Season the dish however you like it to cook a meal you will certainly enjoy.
Whenever I make Moi Moi, I always add coconut oil. The pudding will have a smoother and finer consistency than you would look for in this dish.
It also adds a nutty and earthy taste that will complement the beans and toppings.
Remember to prepare these ingredients when you want a serving of delicious, sweet, decadent Moi Moi in a Microwave!
Put on your apron, and let’s start cooking!
- Soak the beans in water for several hours or overnight.
- Slice the fresh mackerel into four pieces using a knife.
- Cook the mackerel in a pot.
- Season it with stock cubes, mixed herbs, and salt.
- Cook the mackerel for seven minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked, set the mackerel aside.
- Using a knife, chop the sweet peppers, bell peppers, onion, and scotch bonnet.
- Blend them with the drained beans in a blender.
- Pour in the mackerel stock and water.
- Puree the contents in a blender on high speed until the batter is smooth.
- Season the mixture with mixed herbs, turmeric, salt, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, and stock cubes.
- Add oil into the batter until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a microwave-safe dish.
- Garnish with the hard-boiled eggs and mackerel chunks.
- Cover the container with a lid or foil.
- Cook the moi moi in the microwave for seven minutes or until cooked.
- Once done, serve the Moi Moi for the most enjoyable meal!
Can you believe it’s that easy to cook moi moi in a microwave? If you already have the pre-made batter, it’ll take you less than ten minutes to make this meal!
- I suggest buying raw packaged beans rather than canned beans because they’re healthier and fresher.
- Ensure that there are no holes in the packaging.
- Raw beans are best stored in containers.
- You can also store them in their original packaging or resealable bags.
Pepper and scotch bonnet
Buying peppers and scotch bonnet
- Buy sweet peppers, bell peppers, and scotch bonnets with shiny, clear, and smooth skin.
- Check for any soft spots.
Storing peppers and scotch bonnet
- Keep the peppers and scotch bonnet in mesh bags.
- Store them in the fridge or freezer for weeks.
No-Blender Moi Moi Batter
If you don’t have a blender, then it is best to soak the beans overnight to allow them to soften. It is perfectly safe to eat and use beans with the skin.
Moi Moi Variations
While honey beans are highly suggested for this recipe, I can also suggest using blackeyed beans or brown beans because of their innate sweetness.
You can customize the toppings with other meat or vegetables for enhanced flavors. Instead of mackerel, you can add crayfish, salmon, or even beef liver.
Alternative Ways to Cook Moi Moi
Aside from using the microwave, you can also make Baked Moi Moi. Prepare the same batter and pour the contents into ramekins. After that, place the ramekins In a preheated oven, and bake the moi moi at 150° for 40 to 45 minutes.
For steamed moi moi, boil water in a pot lined with foil. Then, place an iron rack in the middle and arrange the containers. Finally, cook it for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until done.
- Microwave: Cook the moi moi in the microwave.
- Blender: Blend the ingredients.
- Microwave-safe dish: Pour the contents into a bowl.
- Knife: Finely chop the ingredients if you don’t have a blender.
- Pot: Cook the mackerel in a pot.
- Foil: Cover the moi moi with foil.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Moi Moi
The best thing about Moi Moi in a microwave is that you can serve it straight from the microwave. You may also choose to slice and serve it with:
Meanwhile, these drinks and juices will give you an even better experience:
- At room temperature: Eat the Moi Moi within two hours to get the best flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for moimoi to cook?
If you cook it in the microwave, then the moi moi can take at least seven minutes to cook. In some recipes, it can take up to an hour to cook the moi moi.
How do you cook meals in the microwave?
Whenever you cook meals in the microwave, refer to the recipe you are following. Use the right temperature for the perfect doneness and do not overcook.
Why is my moimoi too hard?
The Moi Moi may be hard because of the lack of time in soaking the beans in water. Moreover, it may also be caused by not using ingredients to add moisture.
Microwave Moi Moi – Beans Pudding (VIDEO)
- 1½ cup honey beans (soaked but unpeeled)
- 2 sweet peppers (medium-sized)
- 1 red bell pepper (medium-sized)
- 2 scotch bonnets (optional)
- 1 onion (medium-sized)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup fish liquid stock
- ½ tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- A pinch turmeric
- 2 eggs (optional)
- butter / oil (for greasing)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 1 mackerel (boiled)
- Prepare the beans.Soak the beans in water for several hours or overnight. Beans that are easy to peel and break are ready to use.
- Boil the mackerel. Slice the fresh mackerel into 3 to 4 pieces. Place it in a pot and season with stock cubes, mixed herbs, and salt. Add a bit of water and boil the mackerel for 7 minutes or until cooked. Then, store the liquid stock and let the mackerel cool at room temperature.
- Make the batter. Chop the sweet and bell peppers, onion, and scotch bonnet. Blend them together with the soaked beans. Incorporate the mackerel stockand water. Set the blender on high speed and wait until the batter is smooth.Season the mixture with mixer herbs, turmeric, salt, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, and stock cubes. If preferred, add in the egg for better texture. Blend it again to bind the ingredients together.Then, add heated oil into the batter until well incorporated.
- Combine the ingredients.Pour the batter into a microwave-safe bowl. Add the hard-boiled eggs and mackerel chunks. Cover the container with the lid to seal in the flavors.
- Pop it in the microwave.Cook the moi moi in the microwave for 7 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Check for doneness by piercing it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean and dry, take the dish out of the microwave.
- Make sure to use microwave-safe containers when you cook the dish.
- Always check for doneness before removing it from heat.
- The process of soaking helps the beans to soften. Thus they are easy to peel and break.
- If preferred, then add in the egg for a better texture. Blend it again to bind the ingredients together.