Moi Moi is an African delicacy you can make in just a few minutes and your microwave! It’s a pudding-like dish loaded with flavors and textures from fish, vegetables, and seasoning.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
This quickest and easiest Moi Moi is ready in 7 minutes. Yes, as a matter of fact, in seven minutes, with the beans coat (fiber) intact! So, making delicious Moi Moi – beans pudding has never been this simple!
How to Cook Moi Moi in the Microwave
Even on a busy day, you deserve to enjoy Moi Moi. Serve it to your family and friends for any occasion!
Oloyin or honey beans
Oloyin or honey beans have a naturally sweet flavor and gorgeous texture when cooked. Soaked or cooked beans are smoother and more manageable, making it easier to prepare the main ingredient.
If you love beans, I recommend making High-Protein Beans with this Moi Moi!
Bell pepper and sweet pepper
Bell peppers are sweet and fragrant vegetables that pair perfectly well with sweet peppers. These two also infuse the moi moi with an appetizing color and fantastic aroma that you won’t resist.
This dynamic duo can work wonders for other African recipes such as Jollof Rice, Spaghetti, and Egusi Soup!
Incorporate onion to add a pungent and spicy twist to the moi moi. It certainly helps neutralize the sweetness of the beans and peppers for a balanced flavor.
Make the moi moi spicier by adding a scotch bonnet. It surely adds a unique taste to the dish. Use your leftover scotch bonnet for Fried Rice, Chicken Gizzard Stew, and Couscous!
Mackerel is a great topping if you want to include something mild and soft to the moi moi. In addition to that, the stock from cooking the mackerel can instantly improve this recipe.
Not only is mackerel perfect for Moi Moi, but it is also delicious in Fish Rolls and Egg Omelet Toast!
Eggs come in handy when you want to enhance the dish’s texture. It makes the pudding lighter and fluffier. In fact, I also recommend boiled eggs as toppings for a creamy flavor.
These are also popular ingredients in other African recipes, such as Scotch Eggs and Egg Rolls!
This recipe uses curry powder, mixed herbs, sea salt, stock cubes, turmeric, and all-purpose seasoning. Of course, you are free to add other herbs and spices.
I suggest adding oil to the recipe because it can make the pudding smoother and finer in texture. The oil can also help preserve the nutrients of the fresh ingredients.
- Soak the beans in a bowl of water for several hours or overnight.
- Slice the fresh mackerel into 3 to 4 pieces using a knife.
- Cook it in a pot and season with stock cubes, mixed herbs, and salt.
- Add a bit of water and boil the mackerel for 7 minutes or until cooked.
- Then, store the liquid stock, let the mackerel cool at room temperature, and set aside.
- Using a knife, chop the sweet peppers, bell peppers, onion, and scotch bonnet.
- Blend the vegetables with the peeled beans in a blender.
- Incorporate the mackerel stock and water.
- Set the blender on high speed and wait until the batter is smooth.
- Season the mixture with mixed herbs, turmeric, salt, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, and stock cubes.
- Then, add heated oil into the batter until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a microwave-safe dish.
- Add the hard-boiled eggs and mackerel chunks.
- Then, cover the container with the lid or aluminum foil to seal the flavors.
- Cook the moi moi in the microwave for 7 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Check for doneness by piercing it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean and dry, take the dish out of the microwave and enjoy!
Can you believe it’s that easy to cook moi moi in the microwave? If you already have the pre-made batter, it’ll take you less than 10 minutes to make this meal!
How to Select and Store Fresh Vegetables
Selection. I suggest buying raw packaged beans rather than canned beans because they’re healthier and fresher. Ensure that there are no holes in the container.
Storage. Raw beans are best stored in airtight containers. You can also vacuum seal them in their original packaging or resealable bags.
Sweet and bell peppers and scotch bonnet
Selection. Opt for sweet peppers, bell peppers, and scotch bonnets with shiny, clear, and smooth skin.
Storage. These are best preserved in mesh bags to refrigerate. Use them within 2 weeks.
Selection. Purchase onions without soft spots.
Storage. Store the onions in a cool and dry area away. Also, ensure to keep it away from sunlight.
How to Puree Beans and Make the Batter Without a Blender
If you don’t have a blender, then it is best to soak the beans overnight to allow them to soften. It is perfectly safe to consume the beans with the skin.
Blend the soaked beans with a food processor, a mortar and pestle, a blender, a potato masher, or other similar kitchen equipment. The consistency will not be as smooth as when you blend it, but you can filter it with a fine-mesh sieve too.
For the sweet and bell peppers, onions, and scotch bonnet, finely chop them into pieces or grate them for easy blending.
Alternative Ways to Cook Moi Moi
Aside from using the microwave, you can also make Baked Moi Moi. Prepare the same batter and pour the contents into ramekins. After that, place the ramekins In a preheated oven, and bake the moi moi at 150° for 40 to 45 minutes.
For steamed moi moi, boil water in a pot lined with aluminum foil. Then, place an iron rack in the middle and arrange the containers. Finally, cook it for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until done.
Moi Moi Variations
While honey beans are highly recommended for this recipe, I can also suggest using blackeyed beans or brown beans because of their innate sweetness. You can customize the toppings with other meat or vegetables for enhanced flavors.
- Microwave: Cook the moi moi in the microwave.
- Blender: Blend the ingredients.
- Microwave-safe glass bowl: Pour the contents into a bowl.
- Knife: Finely chop the ingredients if you don’t have a blender.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Moi Moi
The best thing about Microwave Moi Moi is that you can serve it straight from the microwave. You may also choose to slice and serve it with:
Meanwhile, the following drinks and juices can make excellent thirst quenchers with this recipe:
- At room temperature: Moi moi is best consumed within 2 to 4 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to eat beans skin?
Yes, it is. In fact, the skin can present you with fiber and other health benefits as well as texture when you cook the dish.
Can you cook the moi moi in mugs?
Of course! However, make sure that the mugs are microwave-safe. Any materials you will use to microwave or bake the dish should be heat resistant.
How do you reheat moi moi?
Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Microwave Moi Moi (Beans Pudding)
- 1½ cup honey beans (soaked but unpeeled)
- 2 sweet peppers (medium-sized)
- 1 red bell pepper (medium-sized)
- 2 scotch bonnets (optional)
- 1 onion (medium-sized)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup fish liquid stock
- ½ tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- A pinch turmeric
- 2 eggs (optional)
- butter / oil (for greasing)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 1 mackerel (boiled)
- Prepare the beans.Soak the beans in water for several hours or overnight. Beans that are easy to peel and break are ready to use.
- Boil the mackerel. Slice the fresh mackerel into 3 to 4 pieces. Place it in a pot and season with stock cubes, mixed herbs, and salt. Add a bit of water and boil the mackerel for 7 minutes or until cooked. Then, store the liquid stock and let the mackerel cool at room temperature.
- Make the batter. Chop the sweet and bell peppers, onion, and scotch bonnet. Blend them together with the soaked beans. Incorporate the mackerel stockand water. Set the blender on high speed and wait until the batter is smooth.Season the mixture with mixer herbs, turmeric, salt, curry powder, all-purpose seasoning, and stock cubes. If preferred, add in the egg for better texture. Blend it again to bind the ingredients together.Then, add heated oil into the batter until well incorporated.
- Combine the ingredients.Pour the batter into a microwave-safe bowl. Add the hard-boiled eggs and mackerel chunks. Cover the container with the lid to seal in the flavors.
- Pop it in the microwave.Cook the moi moi in the microwave for 7 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Check for doneness by piercing it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean and dry, take the dish out of the microwave.
- Make sure to use microwave-safe containers when you cook the dish.
- Always check for doneness before removing it from heat.
- The process of soaking helps the beans to soften. Thus they are easy to peel and break.
- If preferred, then add in the egg for a better texture. Blend it again to bind the ingredients together.