Plantain chips (chifles) are deep-fried thin slices of ripe plantains with a golden, crispy, and crunchy texture similar to actual chips. These are all-natural fruits converted into moreish snacks! Satisfy your craving by converting ripe plantains into chips that everyone will love! This recipe can help you incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
You can enjoy healthy, sweet, and crunchy plantain chips with just two ingredients! It’s a better alternative to store-bought.
How to Make Plantain Chips
I bet you won’t be able to stop making these treats once you taste them!
If you’re looking for snacks safe for blood sugar levels and blood pressure, these sweet plantain chips are definitely for you. It also promotes proper digestion because of its fiber content.
Plantains can also help with weight loss because they supply energy and curb your craving for sweet desserts.
Ripe plantains are sweet and rich in flavor. The riper it is, the sweeter the flavor will be. It has a starchy texture that transforms into a crispy and crunchy exterior once deep-fried.
My family loves plantains, especially when I cook them into Plantain Porridge, Plantain Fufu, or even Steamed Plantains!
- Peel the plantain and thinly slice it with a knife. The best way to do this is to use the V-Blade Slicer to get evenly and thinly sliced plantains.
- Pour sunflower oil into a pot that’s deep enough to fry deep.
- Slowly drop the plantain slices into the oil.
- Toss the chips into the oil with a skimmer while frying to allow them to fry until golden.
- Transfer to a tray lined with a kitchen towel to eliminate excess oil, and leave to cool for extra crunchiness.
Give it a taste test, and once you’re contented with the flavor and texture, munch away on your delicious, crunchy, and Sweet Plantains Chips!
How to Select and Store Plantains
Selection. If you aren’t using the plantains immediately, you can opt for green plantains to allow them to ripen over time.
Half-ripe plantains are yellow with some black spots, while fully-ripe plantains are more black than yellow.
Storage. To ripen green plantains, place the bundled plantains in a ventilated area and wait for up to 2 weeks until it changes in color. If they are already ripe, place them in the fridge for up to a week.
Best Oils for Deep Frying Fruits
Aside from sunflower oil, you can also use canola oil, peanut oil, or corn oil.
If you don’t have access to a stove or pot, you can also air fry the plantain chips.
Arrange them evenly on the air fryer and let them air fry at 150°C for 12 minutes. Flip the chips every 5 minutes to cook both sides. Do it in batches to prevent plantain chips from sticking together.
Furthermore, you can try to bake the plantains too. Distribute the plantain slices onto a lined baking tray and bake them in the preheated oven for up to 20 minutes or until the chips turn golden brown.
Plantain Chips Variations
These Plantain Chips are perfect for vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free snacks!
You can use whichever oil you prefer to deep-fry it and season it with your desired herbs and spices. You can dip it in sauces or dressings for more flavor.
- V-Blade Slicer: This is the most convenient way to get evenly and thinly sliced plantain.
- Knife: Use a knife to peel and slice the plantain. A peeler can also be an alternative.
- Pot: Heat the oil in a pot and fry the plantain.
- Skimmer: Toss the plantain slices in the oil with a skimmer.
- Tray: Cool the chips on a tray for a crispy texture.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Plantain Chips
Plantain chips can make excellent snacks throughout the day. They can’t be a substitute for a complete meal but can be a great source of daily fiber.
These chips can also be served as appetizers or desserts. They can also be added to salads for that extra crunch and sweetness.
- At room temperature: Place the plantain chips in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are plantain chips healthy?
Yes, they are! Compared to store-bought banana or plantain chips, these are all-natural, organic, and preservative-free.
They are packed with nutrients and minerals for your heart, immunity, bones, blood sugar, cholesterol, and energy!
What are plantain chips?
Plantain chips are deep-fried slices with a crispy and crunchy texture similar to actual chips. These are all-natural fruits converted into snacks!
Can you eat fried plantain chips every day?
Plantains are generally healthy, but once fried, it adds fat which can lead to weight gain if consumed in excess. Limit your daily fried plantain chips to one cup a day.
- 1 Plantain (ripe and firm)
- Cooking oil
- Prepare the plantains. First, peel the plantain and ensure that it is firm enough to be thinly sliced. The best way to do this is to use the V-Blade Slicer to get evenly and thinly sliced plantains. You can also use a knife or peeler to manually slice the plantain to your preferred sizes and styles. Plantain chips can be made in the usual round version or in a horizontal and flat version.
- Heat the oil over a stove. Pour sunflower oil in a pot that’s deep enough to deep fry.
- Deep-fry the plantain.Let the plantain slices drop onto the oil. The oil is at the right temperature when the plantain floats back to the surface of the oil. Toss the chips while they are frying to allow them to fry all over until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with a kitchen towel to get rid of any excess oil and leave to cool for extra crunchiness.
- Drop the plantain slices directly into the preheated oil to avoid clumps.
- Allow them to cool at room temperature to add crispiness and crunchiness.
- Plantain chips are not recommended for babies.
- You can also use a knife or peeler to manually slice the plantain to your preferred sizes and styles. Plantain chips can be made in the usual round or horizontal and flat versions.
- The oil is at the right temperature when the plantain floats back to the surface of the oil.
- The best way to fry plantains is to put them directly into the heated oil to fry immediately after slicing. Don’t gather them in a bowl anymore because this can lead to clumped plantain chips.