Donuts are sold everywhere, but this homemade Twisted Korean Donut recipe is truly special. It’s an excellent option for dessert, snacks, or breakfast and brunch!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
With its unique form, delectable texture, and delicious flavor, you won’t believe that you can make this Korean version at home just by deep frying!
How to Make Twisted Donuts
Give your day a twist by making these Korean Twisted Donuts!
As the base for the dough, flour is extremely important. It makes the dough easier to handle, roll, and twist. Flour also works to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface when you knead and for the donuts.
You can trust that it will be an effective ingredient because I also use it for making Banana Bread, Pancakes, and Chin Chin!
Sugar gives a subtle sweetness to the recipe and a beautiful brown finish once the pastry is cooked. It will also be used as a coating for the donuts.
This is a popular garnish spice for dishes and desserts. Cinnamon has a powerful sweet pungency to it.
Yeast is the primary leavening agent used because this recipe involves frying the dough. Without it, the donut will be flat and stale on the inside. It will give the pastry an airy and fluffy texture inside.
Nutmeg and sea salt
For pre-cooking seasoning, use nutmeg and sea salt to balance the sweet flavors of the other ingredients. These condiments can intensify the diverse palette of the dessert.
Using melted butter can help you achieve a chewy, creamy, and rich texture from the outside to the inside of the donut. With this element, you will have a flaky crusted pastry.
The egg will help with the gluten network, flavor, and crust. It makes the dough easier to work with. Eggs are also leavening agents that can help enhance the effect of the yeast.
Since the recipe involves kneading and twisting, the evaporated milk can aid in water absorption for a moist and flexible dough.
These donuts will be deep-fried so oils with high smoke points should be used to preserve nutrients and form.
Can these simple ingredients be transformed into appetizing, satisfying, and astonishing twisted donuts? Find out by learning how to make it at home!
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast with water and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, nutmeg, and sea salt. Pour evaporated milk, melted salted butter, active yeast mixture, and egg. Mix with your hands until combined.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Deflate and knead the dough.
- Mold the dough into a cylindrical roll.
- Slice into pieces with a dough cutter.
- Flatten each piece and roll towards the inside while flattening each time you roll.
- Roll it between your hands for a thin log-shaped dough. Twist the dough.
- Seal the end by pinching and cutting the dough. It should be spiral in form.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil over medium heat for deep frying.
- Gently lower the doughnuts on the pan. Keep turning the doughnuts until well-fried and golden brown all over with a skimmer spoon.
- Once cooked, transfer to a tray lined with a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil. Cook the donuts in batches.
- In a resealable bag, add sugar and cinnamon.
- Put some twisted doughnuts inside and shake until well-coated.
- Transfer onto a plate and indulge in the delightful flavors and textures!
Aren’t these the easiest, crunchiest, and fluffiest homemade donuts you’ve ever tried? It’s definitely going to be everybody’s favorite!
How to Store Pastry Ingredients
- Dry yeast is best stored in its original packaging in the fridge.On the other hand, other ingredients are best stored in their default containers.
- Place them in warm and dry areas of your kitchen.
- For evaporated milk, transfer it into an airtight bottle or container once opened. Refrigerate to last up to a week.
- Butter should also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. To melt, you can pop it in the microwave.
Alternative Ways to Cook Twisted Donuts
Yeasted dough is best for deep-fried twisted donuts, but you can also try other methods.
First, grease the basket with oil or butter. Preheat it to 150°C for 3 minutes. Then, air-fry the donuts in batches at 150°C for 8 minutes. Once one side is golden brown, turn it to the other side.
While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 180°C for 10 minutes. Place the twisted dough on a lined or greased baking tray. Bake the donuts for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color.
For oven baking, you can substitute baking powder for the dry yeast mixture for better texture.
Twisted Donut Variations
To make healthier twisted donuts, you can substitute other ingredients for vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free donuts. For instance, there are gluten-free flour variants available on the market.
Moreover, you can try to use lactose-free milk like almond milk for an added nutty flavor. However, note that changes in the recipe may also alter the donut results.
- Frying pan: Deep fry the donuts in a pan.
- Dough cutter: Slice the dough using this tool.
- Skimmer spoon: Remove the cooked donuts from the heat with a skimmer.
- Resealable bag: Coat the donuts in a resealable bag.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Use precise measurements for the best dough.
- Bowl: Make the dough in a bowl.
- Cling film: Cover the dough with cling film to allow it to rest.
- Plate: Serve the donuts on a plate.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Serve Twisted Donuts
Donuts are best served as snacks or desserts. You can eat them with:
Aside from coating it with sugar and cinnamon, you can also try different glazes. For instance, you can drizzle it with chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, or whipped cream.
To make it decorative, sprinkle it with toppings of your choice. Moreover, you can puncture the inside of the donut with a skewer and pipe in the flavored filling for more flavor.
If you don’t have health restrictions, you can have a maximum of 2 donuts per day. While it is healthy, excessive consumption can lead to weight gain due to the amount of sugar and gluten it contains.
- At room temperature: Unfrosted and unglazed donuts can be stored in airtight containers or resealable bags to last up to 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do donuts get fried or baked?
You can deep fry or bake the donuts, depending on the equipment available to you. Deep frying the dough can give the donut crunchy on the outside yet light on the inside.
What are donuts made of?
Make quality donuts with flour, yeast, sugar, butter, milk, egg, oil, and other seasonings.
Are donuts healthy?
Donuts can be healthy if consumed in moderation, especially for your mental health. They make great comfort food for you and your loved ones.
Korean Twist Donuts (VIDEO)
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- ⅛ cup water
- rapeseed oil (enough for deep-frying)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- Make the leavening mixture. In a small bowl, mix the yeast with water. Once well incorporated, set it aside.
- Make the dough.In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, nutmeg, and sea salt. Pour evaporated milk, melted salted butter, the dry active yeast mixture, and egg. Mix with your hands until combined. The dough should have a sticky and flexible consistency. Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Form the dough. Deflated and knead the dough. Flour a dry surface and the dough lightly. Mold the dough into a cylindrical roll. Slice into pieces. Flatten each piece and roll towards the inside while flattening each time you roll. Roll it between your hands for a thin log-shaped dough. Twist the dough. The tension should twist the dough when you join the two ends together. Seal the end by pinching and cutting the dough. It should be spiral in form.
- Cook the donuts. In a pan, heat cooking oil over medium heat for deep frying. To check if the oil is hot enough, lower a piece of dough into the oil. If it sizzles and floats to the surface, then the oil is hot enough. Gently lower the doughnuts on the pan. Keep turning the doughnuts until well fried and golden brown all over. Once cooked, transfer to a tray lined with a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.Cook the donuts in batches to prevent overcrowding and undercooking.
- Coat the donuts.In a resealable bag, put in sugar and cinnamon. Put some twisted doughnuts inside and shake until well coated. Transfer onto a plate and indulge in the delightful flavors and textures!
- Remember to add your leavening ingredients for an airy and fluffy donut.
- Proof the dough for at least an hour and check for doneness.
- To check if the oil is hot enough, lower a piece of dough into the oil. If it sizzles and floats to the surface, then the oil is hot enough.
- Before cooking the donuts, you need to make sure that they have been properly and sufficiently proofed. Proofing can take up to more than an hour.
- To fry the donut from the inside out, pour enough oil into the pan for deep frying. Keep turning the donuts with a skimmer to cook both sides.
- Knead the dough for 12 to 15 minutes by hand and 10 to 12 minutes using the dough attachment of the mixer.