Snack your way to a healthy lifestyle with these Dried Apple Slices!
What makes these snacks special is that they’re made of all-natural and fresh apples. You can turn them from juicy and watery fruits to crunchy and crispy chips for daily snacking.
The Dried Apple Slices recipe is definitely one of my favorite healthy recipes. You can serve it to kids and adults to give them a wonderful time while caring for their health.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Never let your apples go to waste, and convert them into sweet, tropical, and fun snacks. In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make this snack even without a dehydrator!
One apple contains a decent amount of carbs and fiber and is packed with minerals:
|Calories: 78kcal||Carbohydrates: 21g|
|Protein: 1g||Fat: 1g|
|Saturated Fat: 1g||Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat: 1g||Sodium: 2mg|
|Potassium: 161mg||Fiber: 4g|
|Sugar: 16g||Vitamin A: 81IU|
|Vitamin C: 7mg||Calcium: 9mg|
How to Make Dried Apple Slices Without A Dehydrator
Say goodbye to processed chips and experience how delicious and healthy Dried Apple Slices are. You don’t need a dehydrator to enjoy the crunchy quality of these snacks.
This snack is truly a game-changer when it comes to healthy snacking!
The Dried Apple Slices recipe is certainly simple because you only need one ingredient to make it.
There are many apple variants you can use, but I love using gala apples because of their sweet and tarty flavor. They also have a naturally crisp and juicy quality that you can turn into crunchy snacks.
Apples also have a floral and fruity aroma that will remind you of a fun summer day. Even the red, pink, and yellow colors of the gala apples will keep you wanting more of these chips.
How can you make Dried Apple Slices without a dehydrator?
- Rinse the apples.
- Preheat the oven to 85°C for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use an apple corer and slicer to core and chop the apples into thin pieces.
- Place a grill mesh mat on the oven rack.
- Arrange the sliced apples on the grill mesh mat.
- Then, place the racks in the oven.
- Dehydrate it for two hours and thirty minutes at 85°C, depending on the quantity.
- For the 1st hour, open the oven every 20 minutes. In the 2nd hour, keep it closed to dehydrate fully.
- Once crisp, remove them from heat.
- Leave them to cool for a minute for that extra crisp.
- Put the dried apple rings in a container or a bowl, and you can start snacking away!
This snack recipe is so practical, affordable, and nutritious! You might even regret not making it. I bet you won’t be able to stop making these once you’ve tasted them!
- Apple Holler suggests buying apples that feel firm and heavy.
- Check the apples for bruises or soft spots.
- You should also smell a sweet fragrance near the steam of the apples.
- Keep the apples at room temperature to eat within three days.
- According to Eating Well, put the apples in a mesh bag and store them in the fridge for a few weeks.
- Once sliced, toss the apples in lemon juice and refrigerate for two days.
- Core the apple using a knife or apple corer and slicer.
- Firmly hold the apple upright and slice through it and around the core.
- Then, pop the core out using your finger.
- Position the cored apple horizontally and slice it as thinly as you can.
Dried Apple Slices Variations
Aside from gala apples, Sonja and Alex Overhiser from A Couple Cooks also suggest using Fuji, Honey Crisp, and Granny Smith apples for this recipe.
How to Sun-Dry Apple Slices
Even without an oven, you can still make your dried apple chips!
- Put a wire rack over a tray.
- Arrange the slices on top and cover them with a cheesecloth.
- Place it under the sun and let it dry for at least two days.
- Oven/air fryer/dehydrator: Dehydrate the slices in an oven for a crispy finish.
- Apple corer and slicer or knife: Cut the apple into thin and even slices.
- Grill mesh mat: Spread the slices over the mat to prevent falling pieces in the oven.
- Airtight jar: Store the dehydrated apple slices properly.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Visit my shop for more products.
How to Use and Serve Dried Apple Chips
You can keep them near your bedside for easy access. Alternatively, pack them in resealable bags or containers to eat at work or after a workout. Serve them during parties and lunches with family and friends!
Since these are dehydrated apples, you can consume up to two cups of chips daily. Complete your meal with delicious and healthy Apple Juice!
- At room temperature: Put the dried apple slices in containers to last up to three months at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dried apple slices good for you?
Yes, they are, especially if you compare them to the common processed snacks sold in grocery stores. By substituting these for salty snacks, you are actually saving yourself from added sugar, salt, preservatives, and additives!
How can I dry apple slices?
The best and most accessible way to dry apples is by using an oven or a dehydrator. They can also be sun-dried, but sun-drying can take up to several days.
How long do dehydrated apple slices last?
Dried apple slices can last up to six months in the fridge and up to a year in the freezer. You can also keep them at room temperature for several months.
Dried Apple Slices (VIDEO)
- 900 g gala apples (6 medium-sized)
- Prepare the apples. Rinse the apples to get rid of chemicals.
- While letting them dry, preheat the oven to 85°C for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once dry, slice the apples into thin pieces with a slicer or a knife.
- Arrange the slices.Place a grill mesh mat on the oven rack. Distribute the sliced apples on the grill mesh mat.
- Place the racks in the oven. Dehydrate it for 2 and ½ hours, depending on the quantity.
- The more slices you dry, the longer it will take.
- Bake the apple slices. Set the oven to 85°C to dry the apples. For the 1st hour, open the oven every 20 minutes. In the 2nd hour, keep it closed to dehydrate fully.
- Once crisp, remove them from heat and leave them to cool for a minute for that extra crisp.
- Put the dried apple slices in an airtight container or a bowl, and you can start snacking away. Happy healthy snacking!
- Purchase the best apples and preserve them properly.
- If you don’t have an oven (or dehydrator or air fryer), let them dry under the sun for at least 2 days.
- Note that these chips are not recommended for babies.
- The more apple slices you dry, the longer it will take.
- After letting the dried apple slices cool, fold one piece in half. If the ends did not stick together, they are fully dry. In case the edges are still sticky, pop them in the oven to dehydrate more. Crunchy dehydrated chips will break quite easily.