Homemade Bread (VIDEO)
Learning how to bake homemade bread is one of the best decisions you will ever make. It’s affordable, delicious, easy, and fun!
- 3¼ cups strong bread flour
- 3 tbsp powdered milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp dry yeast (fast action)
- 1 egg
- 6.43 fl oz water (at room temperature)
- 3 tbsp salted butter
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk the strong bread flour, powdered milk, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, and yeast together in a bowl.Add the water and egg. Make the dough.For this step, it’s best to use a stand mixer or a hand mixer for faster kneading. Set the mixer at the speed two option and knead for 3 minutes. Use the kneading attachment of your mixer for the best results.While the dough is kneading, gradually add the salted butter and knead for another 12 minutes. Grease the baking pan. While the dough is kneading, prepare the loaf pan by brushing it with melted butter or oil - this will allow you to remove the bread from the loaf pan when cooked easily. It can also prevent the tearing and breaking of the bread. Grease the lid of the baking pan as well. Mold the dough.After kneading for 12 minutes, place the dough on a floured flat surface. Divide the dough into three parts, 255 grams each. Then, mold each dough into a ball and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough slightly. Roll each piece of dough until it turns into a cylindrical-shaped dough. The pieces will come in handy when it’s time to divide the baked bread into sections. Arrange the molded dough in the baking pan. Place each dough in the loaf pan in a vertical position. Cover the baking pan with cling film or a food bag and secure it with the lid of the loaf pan. Set the loaf pan aside in a warm place to allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It will take time before the yeast leavens, leading to a tastier and fluffier bread. Bake the dough.Before placing it in the oven, remove the cling film or food bag. Place the lid on top and bake it in a preheated oven at 150º C fan oven / 300º F / 3 gas mark for 18 to 20 minutes (or until fully baked).Once baked, you will find it easy to remove the bread from the loaf pan to let it cool at room temperature.
- In making bread, pay attention to four things: ingredients, time, measurements, and procedure.
- Oven temperature varies from oven to oven, depending on the type of oven - fan oven, gas oven, or conventional oven. Hence, the bread should be baked for 18 minutes in a fan oven (at least) or 25 minutes in a conventional or gas oven (at most) @ 150ºC preheated oven.
- To preserve the bread's moisture, wrap each slice in aluminum foil or cling wrap and store it in a cool and dry place or the freezer.
- Greasing the pan will allow you to remove it from the loaf pan when cooked easily.
- It can also prevent the finished product from tearing and breaking.
- Allowing the dough to rest and rise in the loaf fan will take time before the yeast leavens, leading to tastier and fluffier bread.
- Use the kneading attachment of your mixer for the best results.
- Freezing can retain most of the bread’s moisture compared to refrigeration.
- You can make your bread without a mixer. For combining the ingredients, you can use a whisk, and for kneading, you can use your bare hands.
Serving: 100g (of 700) | Calories: 713kcal | Carbohydrates: 131g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 556mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 90g | Vitamin A: 478IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 309mg | Iron: 1mg