Easy Classic Victorian Sponge Cake (VIDEO)
Prepare the fluffiest, tastiest, and lightest Sponge Cake in the comforts of your own home with this recipe!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 9 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs (medium-sized)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
Prepare the egg mixture
Boil water in a pot over medium heat.
Place a bowl over the pot.
Beat the eggs and caster sugar in the bowl with a whisk for three minutes.
Remove the egg mixture from the heat.
Whip it on high speed with a hand mixer for about five minutes or until you reach the ribbon stage.
Create the cake batter
Mix the plain flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl with a spatula.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture.
Fold the batter into the flour with a spatula.
Put a small portion of the batter in a separate small glass bowl.
Whisk the milk mixture into the batter portion in the small glass bowl.
Add the mixture back into the batter and whisk.
Bake the sponge cake
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Line the cake tin with parchment paper.
Transfer the batter to the cake tin.
Bake it for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is ready.
Check if the cake is ready using your finger or a toothpick.
Set it aside to cool.
Flip the cake onto a plate and serve!
- Making the egg mixture over heat makes the eggs easier to and better to whip.
- Whipping the egg mixture at high speed makes the cake light and fluffy.
- You have reached the ribbon stage if you lift the whip and the batter runs back into the bowl, creating a ribbon effect.
- Do not overfold the cake batter to make the cake light and spongy.
- Liaison is a technique where you need to use some of the batter to mix into the liquid. Directly pouring the liquid into the batter will cause the cake to deflate.
- With the finger test, you will know the cake is ready if you press it and it bounces back.
- With the toothpick test, insert the toothpick into the cake, and if it comes out clean, it is ready.
Serving: 1 (of 12) | Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 68IU | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg